We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Franz/Fox/Tasman Glacier lake

Which Franz Josef hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
26 posts
40 reviews
Save Topic
Franz/Fox/Tasman Glacier lake

We are planning on doing the heli-hike up Franz Josef, doing some hikes along the base of Fox, and doing the Glacier explorer boat ride in Tasman Glacier lake. Is it worthwhile to do all three of these?

Thanks!

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
31,289 posts
322 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Franz/Fox/Tasman Glacier lake

They are all very different experiences. Assuming you have the time & favorable weather in all three places you should enjoy them all. If budget is an issue you can walk to the Tasman Lake and see the icebergs for free.

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,297 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Franz/Fox/Tasman Glacier lake

30 million tonnes of ice calved off the face of the Tasman glacier this afternoon, very stunning!

tvnz.co.nz/national-news/…video

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
26 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Franz/Fox/Tasman Glacier lake

wow that is incredible! thank you for the advice. i think we will probably do all three.

the other question i had was about franz josef. my husband and i are planning on doing the heli-hike, but his parents are not the best hikers. which of the glacier tours would be best for them so they get the best experience but does not push them out of their comfort zone.

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
31,289 posts
322 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Franz/Fox/Tasman Glacier lake

They can still take a scenic heli flight. I sent an 88 year-old up and he loved it.

5. Re: Franz/Fox/Tasman Glacier lake

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 February 2013, 10:18
Get answers to your questions about Franz Josef