We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How strenuous

France
Level Contributor
5 posts
1 review
Save Topic
How strenuous

Hi,

I would like to know from anyone who has done the glacier half day walk about the degree of difficulty involved.

I will have had a new knee fitted 10 months by the time I get to NZ

Although I am fit and mobile and walk every day but,I do have a little discomfort coming downhills, with sticks I'm fine, but I can't bend my knee fully. Is crawling /bending low involved.?

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,461 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How strenuous

Yes, bending can be required.

Best ask the guides I would think. They will know exactly how demanding the trip is and if it can be adjusted for your needs.

Their contact details are on their website :)

Greymouth, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
3,886 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How strenuous

thehalf day afox Glacier involved climbing 700 steps in the bush next to the glcier.

my recomendation would be to do the heli hike. that way you get on to the ice, you do what you can, level of fitnes required is quite low.

check pics i taken on flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/26176760@N08/sets/72157621014871180/

3. Re: How strenuous

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 December 2013, 05:15
Get answers to your questions about Franz Josef