We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to see and do in Mount cook

SINGAPORE
Level Contributor
52 posts
1 review
Save Topic
What to see and do in Mount cook

Hi,

Things to see and do in Mt Cook??

We will leave Queenstown on 28th.. Where should we stay (Mt cook or lake tekapo)?? which option is better??

We are planning to visit on 28th of this month...

Thanks in adv:)

Wanaka, New Zealand
Level Contributor
3,060 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What to see and do in Mount cook

What do you want to see? There is more to see in Mt Cook and the views are really stunning. If you want, however, to visit the Mt John Observatory and soak in hot pools, then Tekapo is the best choice. How long have you got to spend in either? More information please.

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
33,043 posts
332 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What to see and do in Mount cook

It really depends on your interests. Mt Cook is a tiny village within the Aoraki/Mt Cook NP, so the only inhabitants work for the hotel or the DoC. There are now 2-3 motels/backpacker options as well as the Hermitage Hotel, but AFAIK only one cafe outside the Hermitage (The Old Mountaineer) and one very small grocery store. There are cabons "down the road" about 10 Km at Glentanner Station which is where I have stayed on all of my more recent visits. They have a basic burger/fast food option.

What to do - walking is what National parks are all about - fabulous short walks, which will depend on the amount of snow on the ground. Kea Point and the Hooker Valley are my favourites.

Unless the weather is really bad I would recommend Mt Cook over Tekapo any day.

SINGAPORE
Level Contributor
52 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: What to see and do in Mount cook

Thanks for your responses ! :)

We would like to spend one day (with night stay) in Mt.cook (or Lake Tekapo), so wanted to check before we book accommodation if its worth spending a day in Mt.cook and Tekapo OR any better option other than this ?

Below is our planned Itinerary, please advise/add if we are missing any other good places, especially from 27th to 31st dates. Thanks in advance !!

20 July: Arrive Christchurch in the morning and collect car, drive Arthur's Pass to Franz Josef (Night Stay: Franz Josef)

21 July: Explore Franz Josef Glacier and drive to Wanaka (Night Stay: Wanaka)

22 July: Explore Wanaka (Night Stay: Wanaka)

23 July: Explore Wanaka and drive to Te Anau (Night Stay: Te Anau)

24 July: Explore Milford Sound (Night Stay: Te Anau)

25 July: Explore Glow Worm caves and then night cruise to Doubtful Sound

26 July: Drive to Queenstown and explore (Night Stay: Queenstown)

27 July: Explore Queenstown and drive to Mount Cook (Night Stay: Mount Cook)

28 July: Explore Mount Cook and drive to Lake Tekapo (Night Stay: Tekapo)

29 July: Drive to Christchurch

30 July: Explore Christchurch

31 July: Explore Christchurch

01 Aug: Fly Out

Appreciate your help on this !! :)

Wanaka, New Zealand
Level Contributor
3,060 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What to see and do in Mount cook

I presume you are flying in from Singapore? The Arthurs Pass road is not one to do straight off a long haul flight - in fact, driving anywhere is not good after a long flight. Also, you will not have time to explore Franz Josef, and then drive to Wanaka. This is particularly so in winter when it gets dark around 5pm. This section of your trip is one of the most scenic, but the road is also one of the twistiest and most challenging to drive. I think you need to reallocate your Christchurch days to the beginning of your trip, and also, take one of them and add it to Franz Josef.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
62 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What to see and do in Mount cook

Last time we were in NZ we drove from Queenstown to Lake Tekapo via Mt Cook. We stopped at the restaurant/information centre for lunch and a look around (which killed a couple of hours) and then continued on to spend the night in Lake Tekapo. The drive out to Mt Cook was very pretty but the actual village/township seemed very quiet. There is ice skating and hot pools at Lake Tekapo and the kids loved running around in the park chasing the rabbits - especially when it was snowing!

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
33,043 posts
332 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What to see and do in Mount cook

I strongly urge you to put your whole itinerary back by a day sinc eyou have allowed lots of time in Chch at the end -shift one of those days to the beginning to allow you to recover from jet lag! Even consider taking the Tranz Alpine train to Greymouth and picking up your car there to reduce driving time on the first day.

My preference is for 2nights at Mt Cook because I like to walk & I find nothing to entertain me at Tekapo, however having one night at each will give you some variety & flexibility. If hte weather is nice at Mt Cook you can walk all day and set off for Tekapo around 3:30pm. If it is bad you can leave early and spend some time in the hot pools.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
1 post
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What to see and do in Mount cook

Chetana,

I will be going to South Island in Dec and have planned similar route as what you described above. Is it possible to share with me your experiences?

Thanks very much in advance!

Oz
Level Contributor
12,405 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What to see and do in Mount cook

Hi,

Mt Cook is a destination with heaps to do and some amazing walks, two nights is a minimum. However you need to be properly prepared and suitably dressed as the weather can and will change in a heart beat at altitude in the mountains.

Lake Tekapo is a scenic stop to refuel, have a meal and continue your journey or if running out of daylight a place to overnight IMHO.

Cheers,

9. Re: What to see and do in Mount cook

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 September 2014, 06:21