We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving from Queenstown, NZ to Hokitika, NZ

mansfield texas
Level Contributor
20 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
Driving from Queenstown, NZ to Hokitika, NZ

We are driving from Queenstown to Hokitika in December.

What route is suggested if we want to stop in the Franz Josef glacier area.

How many hours should I allow for this leg of the trip?

Wanaka, New Zealand
Level Contributor
3,060 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving from Queenstown, NZ to Hokitika, NZ

There is basically only one route. Drive from Queenstown to wanaka, then head for the West Coast (signposted Haast). There is only one road once you leave Wanaka, keep driving.

If you want to go via Mt Cook and Arthur's Pass, there is that option, but it is a round about way to do it.

mansfield texas
Level Contributor
20 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving from Queenstown, NZ to Hokitika, NZ

Good to know. Google maps kept routing me back around through Christchurch. I was beginning to think that the road didn't go through on the west coast up to Hokitika.

Is it about a 6 hour drive?

Thank you.

Wanaka, New Zealand
Level Contributor
3,060 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving from Queenstown, NZ to Hokitika, NZ

That's bizarre that google would send you that way! The drive between QT and Hokitika is one of the country's most scenic. It also includes the two glacier towns - Fox and Franz Josef. There is something to be said for a good old fashioned paper map! Yes, it would be about 6 hours. It takes us 3.5 to Fox - without stops - from Wanaka, then think Hokitika is another 1 or so, maybe 1.5. You would probably want to stop at Fox or Franz overnight.

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
32,936 posts
332 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving from Queenstown, NZ to Hokitika, NZ

I recommend using maps.aa.co.nz/#directions instead of google! Although the usually conservative AA suggests 6 hours, remember this is driving time only and does not allow for stops or detours. Most people find Wanaka to FJG takes 4-6 hours alone. I hope you are planning at least 1 overnight stop -ideally Fox or FJG.

California
Level Contributor
7,505 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving from Queenstown, NZ to Hokitika, NZ

Google Maps is acting very strange today. I got the same result when asking directions from Queenstown to Hokitika. It routed me through Christchurch and even dragging the route wouldn't change that. But then I switched the destinations Hokitika to Queenstown and it routed, correctly, through FJG and Wanaka.

The road flows both ways, so don't know what's up with GoogleMaps!

6. Re: Driving from Queenstown, NZ to Hokitika, NZ

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 July 2014, 06:18