We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lake Matheson on the way to Wanaka

Bengaluru, India
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Topic
Lake Matheson on the way to Wanaka

Hi All,

My wife & I are going to be in Franz Josef on 4th Jan '14 (arrive on 3rd evening) and then drive to Wanaka the next day. We'll do either the Ice Explorer or Heli Hike on FJG on 4th Jan.

We wanted to see Lake Matheson as well. As I understand, the best time to visit is the morning. Is it possible to do that on the 5th, on our way to Wanaka? I read in one of the threads that the walk at Lake Matheson takes 3.5 hours; so does the drive to Wanaka. What time should we ideally start from Franz Josef?

Thanks,

Aditya

Wanaka, New Zealand
Level Contributor
3,119 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lake Matheson on the way to Wanaka

You are doing the journey in summer so at least have the whole day, and evening. I think you would want to be away from FJ by 9am at the latest, even earlier if you can. The drive to Wanaka will more likely take you approx 5 hours, even more. We can do it in 3.5 hours - if we have a good run through the section Wanaka-Haast without getting stuck behind a slow campervan. You will not be able to because: you don't know the road; you are not familiar with driving in NZ, you will want to stop for photos/viewpoints; it is peak camper van season and peak holiday season, so there will be a lot of traffic on the road.

California
Level Contributor
8,203 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lake Matheson on the way to Wanaka

Lake Matheson, 3.5 hours? Oh, heavens no. Lake Matheson is about 10 minutes from Fox Glacier town. You could do as much as walk to the first viewing deck, about 20 minutes, and turn back. So maybe an hour detour. If you prefer to walk all the way around the lake, it will take you about 45 minutes. Then factor in the out and back from Fox, so maybe 1.25 hours. 2 at the absolute max, if you are waiting for clouds to clear to get that perfect camera shot.

Well, you could be waiting all day....

Bengaluru, India
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Lake Matheson on the way to Wanaka

Alright, thanks Telly & deShenke... We'll start as early as possible.

Nova Scotia
Destination Expert
for Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
11,774 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Lake Matheson on the way to Wanaka

We just came from there the other day. We walked up to the glacier face at Fox late in the afternoon. The next morning we were at lake Matheson by about 8:30. I think we were there about an hour and a half. We had incredible luck with the weather which was clear and we could see the tops of the mountains and the reflection in the lake was great. It clouded over shortly after.

We then drove to Wanaka and were there by about 4 or 4:30.

Bengaluru, India
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Lake Matheson on the way to Wanaka

Great, thanks Maryann. I hope the weather gods are generous when we visit too... :)

Edited: 31 August 2013, 12:27
6. Re: Lake Matheson on the way to Wanaka

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 September 2014, 06:20