We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weather in April

Which Franz Josef hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Qld
Destination Expert
for Vanuatu
Level Contributor
329 posts
110 reviews
Save Topic
Weather in April

Hi

looking to take the Transalpine from Christchurch, then drive to Franz Josef in April....wondering what the weather night & day is like that time of year. I've checked weather averages but it's always good to hear from someone who has been at that time. Is April a good time or would the train trip would be more scenic later on when it snows?

cheers

Christchurch
Level Contributor
1,672 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Weather in April

It will be more scenic during winter when the mountains have snow on them, eg June, July and August. April is way too early to expect them to be their prettiest.

Dunedin, New Zealand
Level Contributor
672 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Weather in April

The autumn leaves are stunning on the South Island in April (but you won't see these around Franz Josef). School holidays also occur in late April/early May.

Edited: 02 February 2014, 10:06
Dunedin, New Zealand
Level Contributor
672 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Weather in April

Weather is generally not bad in April, less inclined to be erratic. It's one of my favorite months for traveling around the South Island. The grapes are harvested at this time. March is good, too.

Dunedin, New Zealand
Level Contributor
672 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Weather in April

I'd like to add that the weather is highly unpredictable here. So you could ask several people what the weather was like in April, and each one could tell you something different depending on when and where they went. Within one day, in any given location, the weather could change radically. Again, I always travel about the South Island in April and I live here.

newzealand.com/travel/…four-seasons_home.cfm

newzealand.com/travel/media/features/four-se…

Qld
Destination Expert
for Vanuatu
Level Contributor
329 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Weather in April

Thanks everyone :)

Qld
Destination Expert
for Vanuatu
Level Contributor
329 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Weather in April

Interesting...travel agent is reluctant to book in June, says the wholesaler asked her to advise us that last year in June there were a lot of road closures and rail shut down due to weather!

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
32,053 posts
330 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Weather in April

June is very different to April, which was your original question. June is the start of winter and snow can be expected at any time. It will seldom cause road closures, but is unpredictable.

Qld
Destination Expert
for Vanuatu
Level Contributor
329 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Weather in April

Yes it was different, my original question was about April vs later when there is likely to be snow....based on replies we considered June as an alternative.

Christchurch
Level Contributor
1,672 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Weather in April

Your original question was asking whether the TranzAlpine train trip would be scenic in April or whether it would be better when it snows. You were advised that yes, the train trip would be more scenic in winter when there was snow on the mountains.

June is winter and yes, there is the small risk that roads will be closed due to the weather so you need to weigh up what is most important to you and decide accordingly.

10. Re: Weather in April

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 February 2015, 05:26