We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

'Ice Explorer vs glacier heli hike'

London, United...
Level Contributor
329 posts
Save Topic
'Ice Explorer vs glacier heli hike'

Hi Guys,

In the middle of deciding activities for our roadtrip - and now focusing on Franz Josef.

I have had a friend who has done the 'heli hike' and a friend who has done the 'ice explorer' (which also includes a heli transfer!) both rave about thier experience and both say that the tour guides either said 'the other wasnt worth the extra $100pp' - or the folks that did the heli hike where told it was definately worth the extra $ as they got to see better parts of the glacier.

Which doesnt really help me! I have never walked on a glacier before, so I am certain I will be amazed regardless - but I was wondering whether anyone out there could bring a bit of fact to the statements!!

Or refer me to any other tour guides that offer an even better experiance! It's not so much about the money in this circumstance, I'll pay more or less - its more just trying to find out if the experiences actually differ and what you do actually pay for!

Thanks guys :)

Becky

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,988 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 'Ice Explorer vs glacier heli hike'

Read up on each tour and choose the one which appeals to you the most.

Or toss a coin

there really is no wrong (or right) answer.

Enjoy :)

London, United...
Level Contributor
329 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: 'Ice Explorer vs glacier heli hike'

Thank you! We found an older post (I did search on here first but nothing came up!!) when I was googling and we have decided on the ice explorer (a. Because the early slot on the heli hike is already fully booked - Christmas Eve! And b. the ice explorer actually sounds better as you get more time on the ice!)

As we have been on helicopters before (Grand Canyon) we felt the extra $100 dollars each can go towards doing the white water rafting AND shoot over jet in QT! 😄😄😄

3. Re: 'Ice Explorer vs glacier heli hike'

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 August 2015, 05:17
Get answers to your questions about Franz Josef