We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is this place like dubai

uk
Level Contributor
60 posts
Save Topic
Is this place like dubai

I read somewhere that this place is like dubai i.e safe at night very clean etc

Torrey, Utah
Destination Expert
for Torrey, Capitol Reef National Park
Level Contributor
1,557 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is this place like dubai

While SLC may be slightly safer than most bigger cities in the US and possibly cleaner, though I'm not sure, it's nothing like what I've heard of Dubai or Singapore.

And I'm glad of it, freedom is more important.

Mentioned in this post
Salt Lake City Intl Airport
Salt Lake City Intl...
Salt Lake City, UT
Salt Lake City
Level Contributor
293 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is this place like dubai

No. Maybe we're better than a lot of US cities, but you wouldn't catch me walking around alone at night.

Although it's hot enough today to feel like Dubai.

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Death Valley Junction, Death Valley National Park
Level Contributor
15,982 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is this place like dubai

I don't know what Dubai is like except from TV features and magazine advertising I've seen. They emphasize the massive, palatial 120-story hotels built in a circle surrounding a lagoon with jet skis running on it, upscale clubs, and golf courses in the lobby.

The tourism website says it has the biggest mall outside North America, which I'm not sure is a complimentary allusion to North America--but then, malls are not tourist sites to me, but places where I go when I need clothes, shoes, a camera, etc.

The programs I've seen on Dubai seem to focus on all the things $$$ can buy (i.e. oil $$$). The only American city I can think of where anything like this level of materialism, flamboyance, and conspicuous consumption can be found is Las Vegas.

Salt Lake has its luxury joints, but I don't think it can match Dubai for opulence gone wild. And some areas are very safe and clean and I've walked around them and been comfortable, while some are like any big city anywhere in the world and I would take a cab at night.

Mentioned in this post
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
21,804 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is this place like dubai

It is the US, not a Middle Eastern country. Safe.. maybe in certain areas. Clean... maybe in certain areas.

Have you ever been to the US? Visit many of the cities here... clean and safe is not the only thing that makes a city wonderful. At least right now your money will buy you more here than in Dubai!

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Death Valley Junction, Death Valley National Park
Level Contributor
15,982 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is this place like dubai

FLattery by imitation. Wanna see who Dubai wants to be when it grows up? :^D

http://www.skidxb.com/English/default.aspx

Aubrey, Texas
Level Contributor
10,527 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is this place like dubai

troll alert

Hamilton, United...
Level Contributor
700 posts
220 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is this place like dubai

"And I'm glad of it, freedom is more important."

What parts of Singapore are not free Killer Bob?

Have been there and if I remember correctly I never felt intimidated or opressed by the Government.

Torrey, Utah
Destination Expert
for Torrey, Capitol Reef National Park
Level Contributor
1,557 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is this place like dubai

I haven't been to Singapore and I recognize that they do seem to have achieved a calm and peaceful society (see: 1984). It bothers me that only one party has won elections since independence in 1959, they have draconian punishments for minor crime and the highest per capita execution rate in the world. I could go on but this isn't a political site.

And FYI I'm a Brit living in the US and I don't have unreserved admiration for those governments either.

Salt Lake City, UT
Level Contributor
908 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is this place like dubai

SLC is not quite as safe as the reputation might suggest. However, white Mormons are generally one of the most law abiding groups you'll find; with a still high percentage of said demographic, the city and its environs does have less violent crime than many American cities.

Mentioned in this post
Salt Lake City Intl Airport
Salt Lake City Intl...
Salt Lake City, UT
10. Re: Is this place like dubai

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 October 2009, 08:18