We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best airfare comparison

Which Salt Lake City hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
sandy, utah
Level Contributor
1,056 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Best airfare comparison

I'm trying to book a flight flying into Kansas City and out of St. Louis (we're looking at doing a church history tour) and am wondering which airfare comparison website is the best in terms of ease of use, savings for flying in an out of different airports (I'm assuming I have to book 2 one-way tickets), the ability to look at flexible travel dates/airport locations, the most comprehensive range of airlines, etc. Do any of them include Southwest and JetBlue in their search?

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
Level Contributor
16,908 posts
388 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best airfare comparison

I use Kayak and it's great with lots of trending information. I don't think it includes Southwest or JetBlue (but JetBlue won't be an option for you on that route, anyway).

Any airline will allow you to write an open-jaw ticket. Southwest, on the other hand, pretty much prices everything by one-way fares. You can mix start/finish cities on Southwest.com, but not middle cities, as you're doing.

This is not an exotic route and you can easily do this on your own by checking Southwest, Frontier, Delta. I would be extremely surprised to find anyone else offering a better deal on that route.

Salt Lake City, UT
Level Contributor
27 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best airfare comparison

Go to www.airfarewatchdog.com

They have some great deals and will even e-mail you daily if you want. I've used them to book some killer deals.

sandy, utah
Level Contributor
1,056 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best airfare comparison

Hopefully airfarewatchdog.com will help me in a few years when I'm flying to England to pick up a missionary son. Yesterday was a nightmare. I ended up paying about $250 more for 5 tickets because of the big price increase in one-way tickets from Salt Lake to Kansas City than if I'd gotten them the night before. Returning to Salt Lake via St. Louis was also high-priced. This was for a trip we're not taking until early July. How far in advance do you normally need to book a fare so this kind of price increase doesn't occur?

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
Level Contributor
16,908 posts
388 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best airfare comparison

It's a combination of capacity management combined with other market influences, so there's no rule of thumb that will work all the time. The trending tools on sites like Yapta do help. That sounds like a $50 increase. If I had seen that I would have then waited.

I just booked a European trip, for example, and have been waiting it out for three or four months. I ended up with a better fare two weeks out from travel than everyone else did booking further out. But that's not always the case.

Did you try to book an open-jaw roundtrip with Delta? You can do that.

And, you generally have 24 hours to cancel an online booking.

sandy, utah
Level Contributor
1,056 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best airfare comparison

tkellytravel: Is open jaw the same as multi-city on the Delta website? I just put in the info. and it's more expensive than what I paid flying one-way to Kansas City on Frontier and United and from St. Louis to SLC on Delta. Also, from reading Delta's website, it looks like the 24 hour money back guarantee would only apply if you're booking directly through the airline which I didn't do. You have a lot more guts then I ever would waiting for your Europe airfare prices to drop. Once I know we're going to take a trip, I like all the tiny details worked out including booking airfare and lodging asap.

Nashville
Level Contributor
1,088 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best airfare comparison

I am by no means an experienced air traveler.

Here is the strategy that has worked well for me for long term plans. I generally know over a year out where we will go. I try to periodically look at airfares from Nashville to those cities and get a ball park figure of what constitutes a good rate. Once we get to the point where we our plans are set and we are serious about going, I start to be diligent about this. If a good rate appears that works with our schedule, I book it. If not, I keep checking and wait it out. If nothing in that range pops up by 6-8 months out, I wait for the Southwest specials that regularly appear 2-3 months out.

There seems to be no rhyme or reason to rate fluctuations. For example, 2 summers ago, I started watching rates from Nashville to Denver for a 2 week western trip. The rates were holding at around $350+, but I was holding out for the $200 rates I had seen at times. One morning, I checked and found $180 rates, so I booked 4 tickets right then. That afternoon, the same flight was back up to $300+. When I am book long term, I do back it up by spending $15 or so per person on trip insurance. It is probably a waste of money, but the peace of mind of knowing if one of us gets sick we are covered seems worth it to me.

Good luck with your search.

7. Re: Best airfare comparison

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 November 2009, 06:45