We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gang problems downtown?

Medford, OR
Level Contributor
212 posts
68 reviews
Save Topic
Gang problems downtown?

We're planning our first trip to SLC late this May/early June. We're planning to stay downtown near temple square and the family history center, but hope to see gardens, historical districts, and other sights further afield, too. A friend I had lunch with recently said that there were lots of gangs and gang problems in SLC downtown. Is this so? I found it hard to believe, but I don't want to be naieve either. Any locals with thoughts on this, areas of town to be aware of, etc.? Thanks!

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
Level Contributor
18,792 posts
425 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Gang problems downtown?

It's no different than any city and I would not be concerned with it in the downtown area, especially in the Temple Square area, etc.

The area south and west of downtown is not the best, but even there we routinely ride our bikes through there. That area wouldn't be the best to walk through at night, but you also wouldn't have any reason to.

I would not have any more concern than you would traveling anywhere else.

Have fun.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Level Contributor
401 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Gang problems downtown?

Downtown SLC does not have a gang problem.

West of the RR tracks and south of 600 South is more iffy but not nearly what you would find in most cities of the same size.

There are some homeless that wander around and beg for money but they are not a problem.

AZ
6 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Gang problems downtown?

Just use good sense as you would in any city. There is an occasional begger, but I have never seen anything that made me uncomfortable walking around downtown at night.

Medford, OR
Level Contributor
212 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Gang problems downtown?

Thanks, everyone! Sounds more like what I'd expect. Looking forward to the trip!

5. Re: Gang problems downtown?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 October 2010, 05:17