We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Something different..............

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
607 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Something different..............

as a surprise for hubby.

Please can anyone helpd, we will be in SLC early November for 4 days. I would like to book something prior to comming that would be a surprise for my husband. Does anyone have any thoughts or ideas. He likes animals and is not all that keen on hights.

Thank you.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
15,904 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Something different..............

So you don't think the tram at Snowbird would be a good idea?

How long are you thinking of spending? All day, half a day, a couple hrs in the evening ?

Were you thinking a bus tour, an adventure tour, a drive yourself to it place? A hike? a Bike Ride?, a play, a Jazz game, a ballet? a nice restaurant?

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
607 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Something different..............

I have not looked into anything, which is why I was hoping for some ideas.

Hes not a foodie - so no not a meal - and definately not a ballet. We will have a car and can drive to. Not a bike ride, I cant ride a bike -

Possibly a half day - what is the tram at Snowbird? A bus tour would be good.

I was wondering if he could do a tobogan ride anywhere?

Moab, Utah
Destination Expert
for Moab
Level Contributor
3,363 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Something different..............

A visit to Cabelas. There's animals and your feet never leave the ground.

Antelope Island? Hopefully animals otherwise it is scenic.

Edited: 20 September 2011, 10:11
United Kingdom
Level Contributor
607 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Something different..............

Thank you I will take a look.

Baton Rouge
Destination Expert
for Baton Rouge
Level Contributor
1,192 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Something different..............

Stay at Hotel Monaco for a very special treat. Be sure to request a pet gold fish for him during your stay.

We loved Antelope island which I think he would enjoy.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Anaheim, St. George
Level Contributor
28,390 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Something different..............

if he likes animals the hoogle zoos animal encounters may be interesting,

hoglezoo.org/online-store/up-close-encounters

Irvine, California
Level Contributor
9 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Something different..............

There are a lot of options for fun things to do at Snowbird, but what you could do would depend on whether or not there is snow up there at that time. http://www.snowbird.com/index.html

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Death Valley Junction, Death Valley National Park
Level Contributor
15,071 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Something different..............

First thing that came to my mind was Antelope Island. I love animals too, and I was there in July but the bison were laying low. Sometimes they can be seen roaming around, as can antelope, deer, and coyotes.

Too bad you aren't coming in late October, which is when the bison roundup happens. Real live wranglers round up the critters and corral them for health check-ups. The herd is culled to maintain its health; the bison are not native to the island, have no natural predators there to control the population, and would overtax their habitat if nature were allowed to take its course.

…utah.gov/parks/antelope-island/roundup

The Fielding Garr Ranch is a historic homestead at an isolated edge of the island, where buildings are maintained in historic condition with exhibits, and there are livestock. There is a private outfit at the ranch that does guided horseback rides. The local convention and visitors' bureau handles horse riding reservations.

davisareacvb.com/attractions/antelopeisland.…

For that Old West gourmet experience, go to the park cafe at Bridger Bay and have a bison burger. It's a good meat, quite similar to beef, but somewhat leaner. Bring an empty stomach, because their burgers are enormous. (I do not know if the meat comes from the local herd; an employee told me their supplier is a meat company in Nevada). From the cafe, you can enjoy the view of the lake and the many birds that use the Great Salt Lake as a stopover on their migrations.

9. Re: Something different..............

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 October 2012, 16:16