We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Freeway construction

Which Salt Lake City hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Greve in Chianti...
Level Contributor
314 posts
92 reviews
Save Topic
Freeway construction

Went thru SLC yesterday, heading south and while it wasn't too fun going thru, traffic was light, I'm assuming traffic going north on a weekday can't be too much fun. Is their a better route for us to go north to avoid this or a better time to go thru, daytime of course, we are going to twin falls from st george area. Thanks to all for helping us

Evanston, Wyoming
Destination Expert
for Page, Grand Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
4,827 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Freeway construction

I know what you mean, I hate that traffic around SLC. Some of my friends joke that the new Utah State Tree is the orange construction cone :) The best alternate route I could find was to get on Highway 93 North through Ely, Wendover, etc. Map ->: http://g.co/maps/zhax7 Some parts of it are pretty lonesome, but can't speak for all of it. Might need to check weather up near Ely before you set out. Drove through a pretty nasty storm there a few weeks ago.

Have fun!

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
15,772 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Freeway construction

I would think Utah county (Provo area) would be a little worse than SLC due to the construction, and since that is what you listed as your topic I'm thinking that is where you were thinking about. I'm used to driving them all and in commuter traffic, so I just take it as it comes and the only time that is really bad is mornings until about 9 heading into downtown and evenings between 4 and 6 heading out of downtown. (Or in Utah county any time there is a BYU football game). So heading north you wouldn't hit traffic until north of the city. You can avoid that with 215 and the Legacy hwy.

They are working on a second west side corridor but it isn't completed yet. The northern extension of that is the Legacy hwy (hwy 67) which connects up with 215 north of SLC. If you are trying to avoid traffic heading north in the afternoon then I would suggest you transfer to 215 and then take the Legacy north.

Any alternatives around the main I-15 route would maybe be less hectic but no faster just because they are major detours or surface streets with too many traffic lights (like around the west side of Utah Lake and up to Redwood Rd)

If you want to go the whole Nevada stretch you will definitely miss any traffic. it is very light over there.

Greve in Chianti...
Level Contributor
314 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Freeway construction

Thanks u 2. Appreciate your help immensely

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
Level Contributor
17,729 posts
413 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Freeway construction

The 93 route is actually about the same time and a great drive. Guarantee you won't have traffic. FYI, that route does not take you through Wendover. Another option which probably won't save you time is skirting SLC by taking 189 from Provo to Heber then 40 to Park City and around 84. It will add about 30-40 minutes and I doubt you would ever lose that much time through SLC.

Give the desert route a shot. It's some fantastic highway.

Evanston, Wyoming
Destination Expert
for Page, Grand Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
4,827 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Freeway construction

@terkel: Tumbleweed&Cactus is correct, Google Maps routed me through Wendover NV when I did my intial inquiry, but it's not necessary to go there. http://g.co/maps/9g2t6

6. Re: Freeway construction

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2013, 12:42