We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

SLC for last night of trip - need a car?

Which Salt Lake City hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Boston...
Level Contributor
191 posts
267 reviews
Save Topic
SLC for last night of trip - need a car?

SLC is the last leg of our 4 state journey at the end of August. In order to reduce our nearly $1000 car rental price (eek!), I was wondering if we need a car for the final day? I anticipate arriving in SLC around 2:30 in the afternoon from GTNP. We'll be staying at a hotel close to the airport that offers a shuttle - our flight back east leaves early the following morning. So, if we were to drop the car off at the airport about 16 hours before our flight (in order to greatly reduce costs by sticking with a week rental vs. a week plus a day), are there restaurants within walking distance from the hotels closest to the airport? Or, cab service at least?

Any thoughts are appreciated! Perhaps I should just suck it up and eat the extra day (close to an extra $200 though...that's hard to swallow).

Thanks!

Boston...
Level Contributor
191 posts
267 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: SLC for last night of trip - need a car?

I may have come up with another solution but it seems like it may not be proper...can someone share their thoughts?

Pick up car in Denver - return 1 week later to Idaho Falls

Pick up new car in Idaho Falls - return following day to SLC

This saves us $300-$400 and would mean we wouldn't have to rush from YNP to get the car back to SLC early enough. Is this playing dirty though? Thanks.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
4,053 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: SLC for last night of trip - need a car?

I don't think it's playing dirty. You're a consumer paying for a service and doing what they are allowing. To answer your question about options by the airport, I would consider them very limited. If you are at a hotel on the east side of the airport, you may have an option to ride Trax downtown for restaurants. If you are on the west side of the airport though, you are kind of stuck in no mans land. Cabs are always an option, but it's about a 15 minute drive to downtown and will just be another expense. Good luck.

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
Level Contributor
17,492 posts
403 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: SLC for last night of trip - need a car?

Regardless of what you do, think about returning the car downtown, staying there and taking light rail to the airport. There's really no meaningful infrastructure and restaurants around the airport hotels and, frankly, the downtown hotels are maybe five minutes further away with a whole lot more to do.

In general, SLC is cheaper than DEN for rental cars. It's also easy to get downtown to rent and save airport surcharges. Can you route your trip roundtrip via SLC instead of incurring one-way charges?

Good luck.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
4,053 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: SLC for last night of trip - need a car?

Yes, if cancelling the hotel near the airport is an option, I would check into relocating into a downtown hotel. Many downtown hotels will also have shuttles. The SLC airport is really only 8-12 minute drive from downtown. It's not like Denver, JFK or LAX.

Cabs are an available or there is always Trax. A hotel option like the Hyatt Downtown at Gateway is close to the Airport Green Line and takes only 20 minutes to get to the airport. You will just need to add some extra time for walking to your terminal too.

Boston...
Level Contributor
191 posts
267 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: SLC for last night of trip - need a car?

Excellent information - thanks, all! Already have flights booked - in to Denver, out of SLC as we start the trip visiting family in Denver. However, I do not have a hotel in SLC booked yet so I will look into the suggestions above. Thanks again.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
15,699 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: SLC for last night of trip - need a car?

I agree that a downtown hotel may be better depending on where it is in relation to transportation. And Before you rely on TRAX from downtown to the airport check that it is running as early as you need it. One of the complaints when it opened was that it did e get you out there for early flights.

Have you checked drop off fees for Denver to Idaho Falls? They may be double a regular rental.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
15,699 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: SLC for last night of trip - need a car?

I agree that a downtown hotel may be better depending on where it is in relation to transportation. And Before you rely on TRAX from downtown to the airport check that it is running as early as you need it. One of the complaints when it opened was that it did not get you out there for early flights.

Have you checked drop off fees for Denver to Idaho Falls? They may be double a regular rental.

Boston...
Level Contributor
191 posts
267 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: SLC for last night of trip - need a car?

Good info everyone - thanks! Rental from Denver with a dropoff in SLC and IDA are exactly the same. The killer is that I need the car for one additional day as I won't have time to get from YNP to SLC in order to return the car in time. And, the additional day sets me back an additional $300 or so! I was shocked! But, dropping of the car in IDA gives me the extra time and saves my about $250! I was questioning whether it was ethically alright and I guess it's not that bad to do it this way. I mean, I can't be the first person to do this! Right!? :)

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
Level Contributor
17,492 posts
403 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: SLC for last night of trip - need a car?

I wouldn't worry about any ethics here. You're not doing anything wrong at all. Curious as to which company you're renting from and what is the drop fee?

Boston...
Level Contributor
191 posts
267 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: SLC for last night of trip - need a car?

All of a sudden, rates have changed when I checked tonight and the fee to pick up in Denver, drop in SLC is lower than the other plan. Hmmm. So, pick up in Denver; drop in SLC (7 days, 8 hours) is $942 with a pay now, AWD & coupon code. On top of that, we'll get cash back via ebates.