We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fall Colors?

Which Salt Lake City hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
USA
Level Contributor
846 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Fall Colors?

Does anyone know how if there is much color up Big/Little Cottonwood canyon, Timpanogus, Park City, etc.? Thanks!

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
3,896 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fall Colors?

I was up Little Cottonwood Canyon today and there wasn't much color, but looked like it could start changing soon. I wonder if is will be a bad year though. Some of the lower trees near the mouth of the canyon had changed straight from green to brown. I wonder if the hottest summer on record combined with a weak snowpack will make the fall foliage below average. It will be interesting to go back and check in a week or 10 days.

USA
Level Contributor
846 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fall Colors?

Thanks, Shake.

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
Level Contributor
17,186 posts
393 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Fall Colors?

As noted, somewhat unusual fall so far. First signs were earlier than in past going back into early August, but going direct to muted brown. That muted brown has brown without much sign of brilliant color. Traditionally, this date is still fairly early for color but I'm concerned about the signs so far. Our peak color periods are more towards the first week in October.

Here's a typical scene from the Guardsman Pass area on Oct. 9 from a few years ago:

www.flickr.com/photos/tkellyphoto/5065548122/

I would keep an eye on it over the coming weeks to see where it goes. But for sure it's early now to consider viewing or know where it really stands.

USA
Level Contributor
846 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Fall Colors?

Thanks, Tumbleweed.

USA
Level Contributor
846 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Fall Colors?

I was at Snow Basin today, which would typically have a lot of red about now (maples). Unfortunately, looks like things are going straight to brown there this year :o)

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
3,896 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Fall Colors?

Yikes that's to bad. We'll see what continues to unfold in the next few days. I was hoping some of the late rain would help, but even some of the pines look dry.

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
Level Contributor
17,186 posts
393 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Fall Colors?

Just in last few days, we've started to see a bit of change in the aspens in the high country around Park City, plus a few remaining scrub oaks that didn't go brown are starting to show a bit of red. Everything is a bit late and the initial yellows in the aspen make me think it will not be that brilliant. I would look for significant change over the next few days.

Stay tuned.

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
Level Contributor
17,186 posts
393 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Fall Colors?

Definitely no shortage of color at the higher elevations now. This brilliant rainbow of color is along state route 222 between Guardsman Pass and Midway, which is totally alive with color right now. Definitely much more active color on the east side of the Wasatch and at elevations 7,000 and higher. Worth a drive right now!

www.flickr.com/photos/tkellyphoto/9908278403/

USA
Level Contributor
846 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Fall Colors?

Tumbleweed: Thanks so much for the update!

USA
Level Contributor
846 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Fall Colors?

Had a delightful fall-color day. Thought I'd report in case others are interested. Took Tumbleweed's great suggestion of Guardsman Pass out of Midway. I also drove the "back side" of Wasatch Mtn State Park on Snake Creek Drive. Beautiful. Then I drove the Alpine Loop, which is always beautiful, although the reds weren't as vibrant as last year. The Alpine Loop has a lot of yellow, even though the quakies are just starting to turn. It was a great day to do the drive, amazingly few cars for autumn, I assume because of the threat of rain, snow, and late fall. Tomorrow/Fri should be good, too. Enjoy!