We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ski/Snowboard trip in January to Salt Lake City

Which Salt Lake City hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
22 posts
72 reviews
Save Topic
Ski/Snowboard trip in January to Salt Lake City

My husband and I went to Brian Head last winter and while that was nice, we decided to venture to Salt Lake City this year. Please advise on what are is best for beginner snowboarders or skiers. Also, if you could recommend some hotels in that are, that would be great. I have no idea on what are is best and what not to miss over there.

Your responses are greatly appreciated! Thank you!

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
4,053 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ski/Snowboard trip in January to Salt Lake City

Greetings Anna Maria, welcome to the Wasatch.

Most of the resorts will have very good beginning terrain. Brighton is the least expensive area and has great beginning and intermediate trails on much of the mountain. Park City Mountain Resort would be another recommendation with very wide and well groomed runs. Park City will have more night life, apres ski, and things to do at night. Brighton is very rustic and barebones.

If you're staying in downtown SLC or even in Cottonwood Heights you could reasonably visit both areas on the same ski trip. From downtown SLC there are 7 ski areas within 45 minutes. The only one I might avoid is Snowbird. Much of the terrain is for advanced skiers and riders.

What will your price range be for accommodations? Ski in/out in winter will be pricey. Park City is more expensive and 300 dollars might be low to middle range in the heart of ski season. Downtown SLC will have options from Motel 6 to 5-star Grand America and many places in between, but then you'll have a 45 minute commute each way to the resorts and also be in a more urban setting rather than in the mountains.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
22 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ski/Snowboard trip in January to Salt Lake City

Tahnk you so much for the reply! I was looking at Park City Marriott hotel and will probably end up booking that one (will be using Marriott rewards). COuld you tell me which resort is closer to that hotel? we will have a car

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
4,053 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ski/Snowboard trip in January to Salt Lake City

There are three ski resorts in Park City. The closest to that property would be Park City Mountain Resort less than a mile away. Deer Valley is a couple of miles to the east and The Canyons is about 4 miles to the west. All three resorts will have great beginning and intermediate terrain. Deer Valley does not allow snowboarders. I would try to experience each of them as they are all a little different and unique.

For a ski in/out property look into Marriott MountainSide right at the base of PCMR. To be right on Main Street in the Historic District and within walking distance of all of the galleries, shops, and restaurants look into Marriott Summit Watch. You could also take The Town Lift to access PCMR from Main Street, virtually making it a ski in/out location.

Park City also has a free town shuttle between ski resorts and the Historic District, so if you're flying into SLC, there really isn't a need for a car unless you were wanting to explore other areas like Midway, Salt Lake, Brighton, etc.

Edited: 13 November 2013, 00:21
Long Beach...
Level Contributor
999 posts
443 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ski/Snowboard trip in January to Salt Lake City

I always stay at the avenues hostel but its a 1/2 mile walk to the uta station there you ride to midvale and take the ski bus to alta, brighton, solitude, or snowbird. If you are a beginner stick with brighton or solitude. Alta has a no snowboard policy. Sowbird should be rated int and above only

5. Re: Ski/Snowboard trip in January to Salt Lake City

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 November 2014, 06:21