We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stock up with food/fuel canisters?

Which Salt Lake City hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Syracuse, New York
Level Contributor
18 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Where to stock up with food/fuel canisters?

We are flying into SLC and from there headed out to visit an array of National Parks. Our question is where in the Salt Lake City area is there a sporting goods store that sells fuel canisters near a cheap place to stock up on groceries? We're headed to Great Basin first, so ideally it would be on the way (Google Maps has us taking 80 to 15 through the city, then branching off just north of Lehi to head west toward Great Basin). Let us know!

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
4,048 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stock up with food/fuel canisters?

There is a huge Scheels sporting goods store right off I-15 and about 11400 South. There is a Harmon's Grocery Store less than a mile east, I believe. There is also an REI right off I-15 and 10600 South, with a Ream's Grocery about a mile east as well.

Edited: 21 April 2014, 22:39
Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
Level Contributor
17,489 posts
403 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stock up with food/fuel canisters?

That Scheel's is a good choice. There's a Costco next door and a Wal-Mart on the west side of I-15 at the same exit. Only downside is that traffic in and out of that Scheel's/Costco lot is a bit of a pain. There's also a Cabela's just down the road just before you turn off at Lehi.

There are multiple routes from SLC. The one you're looking at is fine. I would suggest taking I-215 around to meet I-15 south of the city. That will save you some city traffic. The exit to I-215 southbound is IMMEDIATELY after you get onto I-80 out of the airport. Your route will take you down the west side of Utah Lake. Very scenic drive.

Have fun.

Salt Lake City, UT
Level Contributor
908 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to stock up with food/fuel canisters?

Let me offer a couple slightly less conventional options. For food, stop somewhere in Salt Lake City east of downtown. I am a huge fan of Sprouts Farmers' Market on 700 E. There is also a Trader Joe's on 400 S, or a Whole Foods at Trolley Square. For more conventional options, there is also a Harmons (local chain) downtown and a Smiths (local Kroger affiliate) on 400 S.

As for the fuel, there is a smaller general outdoors strode, Wasatch Touring, on 700 E just a stone's throw from Sprouts. On State St there is Kirkham's, a larger general outdoor store, or you could head east to the REI on 3300 S.

With any combo of these options, you could be stocked up, then head to Great Basin the way I prefer....west on I80 or UT201, off at UT36 in the Tooele Valley, then down UT36 all the way to US6. Much less traffic than heading down through the sprawl in southern SL County and Utah County. (Though the more trafficked route does have the advantage of the spectacular mountain backdrop of the Wasatch Front.)

4. Re: Where to stock up with food/fuel canisters?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 April 2015, 05:16