We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to do in a day in SLC area?

Englewood, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,747 posts
81 reviews
Save Topic
What to do in a day in SLC area?

I'll have just a day to spend in the SLC area, looking for recommendations on what to see and do, including visiting mountain areas such as Cottonwood Canyon, and what to do there as well. Will be there May 12th. Will have a car rental, and wish to see and do as much as possible in a day. Looking for suggestions and ideas on how to fill my day. Also, any evening suggestions? Thanks, I appreciate your help and recommendations.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
15,999 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What to do in a day in SLC area?

With one day there are many directions you can go. You really could spend a full day in the downtown area between Temple Square and surrounding buildings, the Capitol, the Planetarium, the City library and City Hall, the shopping malls, the many options for dining, Red Butte Garden, Tracy Aviary etc, etc. There there could be a trip out to Saltair or the marina for the Great Salt Lake.

Or hikes to Ensign Peak or through City Creek Canyon, biking along the Jordan River trail, and the Bonneville Shoreline trails.

If you are more interested in the mountains then you could spend all day in either the Big or Little Cottonwood Canyons. I highly recommend the hike to Red Pine Lake (might have to tramp through some snow though in May) in LIttle Cottonwood. Or take the tram at Snowbird-great views from the top. They are scheduled to still be skiing until May 26 at the moment. But you can take the tram back down if you don't want to ski. I haven't been out this spring yet to any of the trails so can't tell you what the snow pack is like or how that would affect them... Still some time before you come for that to change.

Salt Lake City
Level Contributor
319 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What to do in a day in SLC area?

Millcreek Canyon's Desolation Trail has a great view of the valley and takes about an hour up and less back down. I agree, the tram at Snowbird is great. If you choose to stay in the downtown area, City Creek Canyon has a nice hike. I'd recommend Ensign Peak too...quick hike, less than an hour.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
4,760 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What to do in a day in SLC area?

I would definitely recommend taking a Tram ride at Snowbird. By this time, Snowbird will only be open on weekends, I believe. So you may want to make sure the Tram is still operational for foot passengers on this day.

There are hundreds of climbing routes, and hiking and mountain biking trails in the area. Would you like to bag a peak or have a fantastic view of SLC and the Great Salt Lake? Some fairly reasonable hiking options for a person in moderate shape would be Grandeur Peak, The Living Room, and Avenues Twin Peaks. You could google these for trail descriptions and directions to get there.

Red Pine will definitely have snow in the shadows and upper elevations, but you could rent snow shoes at REI. I might opt for White Pine, if I were to go up there. Have good trail descriptions and sense of direction, because you'll be hiking in the snow.

Antelope Island on the GSL is an option too.

No visit to SLC is complete without visiting Temple Square. Breeze through City Creek Center next door, just because it's there. I would recommend seeing the Utah Museum of Natural History. Red Butte Gardens next door might be nice too, depending on how much is in bloom. Around this area, at The University of Utah, is the Olympic Cauldron Park, if that is of any interest. There is small museum and short film highlighting the 2002 Olympics too. Some great city parks are Liberty Park with Tracy Aviary and Sugar House Park.

Check out the event calendars at City Weekly and Visit Salt Lake. There is usually live music at one of The Urban Lounge, State Room, or The Depot. SLC is largely a suburban, 9-5 town, so downtown might feel bare if you don't know where to go.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
4,760 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What to do in a day in SLC area?

I know you mentioned brew pubs on another thread. I just found this list of events going on for Craft Beer Week, which coincides with when you'll be in SLC.

sltrib.com/sltrib/entertainment2/57905040-22…

5. Re: What to do in a day in SLC area?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 May 2015, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about Salt Lake City