We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visit in September or October?

Houston Heights...
5 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Visit in September or October?

We would like to travel to the SLC area in the Fall. We are looking to relax and do some hiking. Will be there Wed night - Sunday afternoon.

Few questions-

1. Should we come in Sept or Oct? Hoping to see the Fall colors but also still have access to hiking trails

2. We would like to stay somewhere outside the city.. Found a few condos near Alta or Brighton.. is this too far removed during off season? If so, can you recommend some areas to look for rentals that don't feel like your in a city? Must have great views :)

3. Are any of the ski lifts or alpine slides open in the Fall?

Thanks for your help!

Jackie

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
Level Contributor
18,803 posts
425 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visit in September or October?

Welcome to the forum. Fall colors are late September to early October. In either month, Alta or Brighton will be nice but lonely. If you want solitude, that's your choice. There will be some, but limited, restaurants open up the canyons. Park City would be a better option for choices of things to do, but a bit less solitude.

As you get into October, your weather risk does go up. I would try for the color season, last week of September or first week of October.

Another option you might consider is Sundance Resort. That would give you a full resort service and solitude. It's a bit further of a drive.

Have fun.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
15,919 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Visit in September or October?

Hi Jackie F, Welcome to the forums.

Timing for fall colors is always a risk, but you can usually find something somewhere depending on altitude by the end of Sept or early October.

If you chose Brighton you should still be able to take the Guardsmans pass road over to Park City. But I do agree that either location will have fewer eating or attraction options. Park City isn't really a city. More like a small town and depending on where you stay you can still feel some quiet and yet be close enough to many options.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
15,919 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Visit in September or October?

My time ran out to edit.

I love Little Cottonwood, either Alta or Snowbird. You can hike to all my favorite places, Cecret Lake, Red or White Pine, Catherines pass, Grizzly Gulch. You'd still be close enough to come down the canyon to Sandy if you feel the need for civilization.

Brighton has almost no eating places (Silver Fork? I don't know what is at Solitude). I don't the hiking trails as well over there either but the Twin Lakes is always nice.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
4,629 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Visit in September or October?

To me, the best views will be at Alta, but as noted, there isn't really a town there. Not even during the ski season. Great hiking options up Red Pine, Wolverine Cirque and Cecret Lake is always nice even if the wild flowers are gone. Red or White Pine would be the best for fall colors.

Brighton will have views but will likely be even more isolated than Alta. Excellent hiking options from Twin Lakes to Lake Blanche to Gobblers Knob to Donut Falls. Access to Guardsmen Pass going to the Alpine Loop or Park City.

Park City will by far have the most amenities, restaurants, galleries, while still in a small town setting. Access to Guardsmen Pass and the Alpine Loop. Lots of mountain biking. Hiking not as good as the others, IMHO. But can still access Big Cottonwood Canyon quite easily. PC has a lot of aspen trees which create nice fall colors.

Sundance Resort on the backside of Mt. Timpanogos would be another option. Great views and scenic drive options. Big hiking trails that go up almost 12,000 feet and might encounter snow.

As noted, late Sept to early October is a great time. The maples change earlier than the aspens, so it's hard to say exactly.

Another nice drive is the Nebo Loop near Payson.

Edited: 30 May 2014, 08:53
Houston Heights...
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Visit in September or October?

Great, thank you so much! You have no idea how much this helps! Taking everyone's advice and thinking of traveling the last week in September. We will def be looking into the hikes mentioned here too.

Does anyone know how far the drive is from Alta to Park City?

Would we need a 4 wheel drive

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
4,629 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Visit in September or October?

Driving from Park City to Alta would take about an hour. 4WD isn't needed, as snow in late September is unlikely to be a problem. It can definitely happen though.

7. Re: Visit in September or October?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 June 2015, 05:17
Get answers to your questions about Salt Lake City