We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Olympic Sites?

San Diego...
Level Contributor
1,708 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
Olympic Sites?

Hello everyone!

We will be in Salt Lake City and Park City in a few weeks and I wanted to check out the Olympic sites from the 2002 games. I am having a real hard time figuring out where things are located. Are there standing Olympic Rings like in Whistler, BC or an Olympic Cauldron in Vancouver? I have visited the websites, but it seems like they promote the activities in Park City available today and there is no information about "historical" sites/monuments.

We will also be in SLC on a Thursday so we plan to visit the Temple and hear the Tabernacle Rehearsal.

Thank you

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
Level Contributor
18,190 posts
415 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Olympic Sites?

All of the venues are still standing and in regular operation. From a tourist perspective, they are really just regular venues so there's nothing really much different than visiting any NBA arena, etc. The key area for you to visit is the Olympic Museum in Park City at the Utah Olympic Park. The Olympic Museum is a part of the Alf Engen Ski Museum with a fully dedicated floor of artifacts and displays. There's also a wonderful ski simulator that was installed last year that's fun to ride. The Park also has other attractions from zip lines to bobsled rides, plus a fabulous tour of the bobsled, skeleton, luge, ski jumping and freestyle training facilities.

The Olympic cauldron is in a state of flux right now. It was removed from its original location at Rice-Eccles stadium and has not yet been relocated for permanent display.

Here's information on the museum (which is free):

https://www.engenmuseum.org/

Have fun.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
4,345 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Olympic Sites?

I know there has been talk about removing the cauldron from Rice-Eccles Stadium, but as of now it is still in place, along with the Hoberman Arch. As far as I know, the museum and film are still available too.

Other than that, SLC has some scattered indicators, like the clock near ESA and manhole covers etc, that the Olympics took place in the city.

The Olympic Rings were removed right after the games.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
15,872 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Olympic Sites?

Wow, that threw me for a loop as well Tumblewweed... I'm going "when did they take it down?" But the website certainly hasn't changed to reflect that and I swear it was there last month when we went by.

I believe the little park there at the stadium is the best place to relive the 2002 olympics. The movie, the torch, the photos, the cauldron, the plaza with the highlights of each of the 17 days of the olympics, the fountain with the gold medalists listed in each event. Plan an hour or more. Parking is free unless there is an event. Enter at the ticket sales office for the stadium.

…utah.edu/about/olympic/visitor-info.php

They will need to move it to enlarge the stadium, but I'm thinking that is going to be a while before that happens.

There is the olympic icon shaped fountain at Gateway mall. Then of course the Olympic Oval in Kearns where you can skate if you want during public skate events utaholympiclegacy.com/activity/…

You definitely need to visit the Olympic Park area near Park City as well. The ski jump hill and aerialists training is there. The museum was fun for an hour or so. And of course if you really want to you can travel down the bobsled run yourself.

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
Level Contributor
18,190 posts
415 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Olympic Sites?

Thanks for catching that, guys. There's actually been a plan to move the arch and cauldron last summer, but realized they didn't do it yet. Sorry for the confusion.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
1,708 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Olympic Sites?

Awesome! Thanks everyone.

6. Re: Olympic Sites?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 June 2015, 05:16