We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which Area To Stay? SLC or Park City?

Which Salt Lake City hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Gladstone, Australia
Level Contributor
93 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
Which Area To Stay? SLC or Park City?

Hi. I've been trying to decide on the best way to see the sights around both SLC and Park City for early December (around the 4th for 3-4 days) and which place would be the best to stay in?. We are a family of 4 (2 teens and 2 adults) Do you have transport options between the 2 places? Any tours? We are keen on staying at a snow resort at Park City but I also want to see the Natural Science Museum and the Salt Lake of course in Salt Lake City. Are there actual tours of this lake? What do you recommend? Hiring a car? Would that mean rental snow chain issues too? Sorry to have so many questions...

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
Level Contributor
17,489 posts
403 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which Area To Stay? SLC or Park City?

Early December is early season for skiing and snow. Should have some on the ground. It's also early enough where prices aren't an issue in PC. You definitely will want a car. Chains are not allowed on rentals. While there's no predicting the weather, I wouldn't make it a planning issue. There is bus service between PC and SLC but it's not practical. From PC to Natural Science Museum is only 35-40 minutes depending on where you're staying.

Have fun.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
4,048 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which Area To Stay? SLC or Park City?

Greetings and welcome to the States. I would just continue with plans to stay at a nice mountain reaort in PC, if that is what you are wanting. Rent a vehicle with 4WD, just to be safe. It can still snow, even though it's very early for ski season.

There are tours of the Great Salt Lake. I don't have a recommendation of tour operators, but you can google the info. They likely go to Antelope Island or the marina. Probably about 60$ per person. You could also explore on your own and just get some literature about the lake to embellish the experience.

Salt Lake City is about 35-40 minutes from Park City, so it would be easy to take a day trip and visit the Museum of Natural History and whatever else you would like. The Christmas light display at Temple Square should be fired up by then and is one of the best in the country. Ice skating at the nearby Gallivan Center.

United States
Level Contributor
365 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which Area To Stay? SLC or Park City?

you definitely want a car.

i've never actually been to the lake itself, since no one ever seems to say anything nice about it. i would enjoy the city and the mountains if you don't have the time for a trip to the lake.

as to where to stay, it's just your preference of being at a mountain resort or in a city :) you could of course split your hotel nights, but as the previous person said, it's only about a 40 minute drive between the two.

Rhode Island
Level Contributor
22 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which Area To Stay? SLC or Park City?

I just came back from SLC and PC. we stayed in PC and it was an easy drive into SLC. The roads are very good. We took 2 tours with Salt Lake City Tours. Enjoyed both and learned a lot.

Gladstone, Australia
Level Contributor
93 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which Area To Stay? SLC or Park City?

Thanks very much for the information. We are thinking too now of staying at PC and driving in a hire car to SLC. If it is snowing we will catch one of the many shuttle buses. I think we'll leave that option until the last minute just to play it safe weather -wise. Thanks again for your input everyone.

6. Re: Which Area To Stay? SLC or Park City?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 June 2015, 05:16