We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cool diners or places to eat on 40 from Denver

Which Salt Lake City hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Granby, Colorado
Level Contributor
42 posts
Save Topic
Cool diners or places to eat on 40 from Denver

Taking 40 from Denver to Salt Lake City and was wondering where there might be some cool diners or local eateries well worth stopping.

Steamboat Springs...
Level Contributor
2,740 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cool diners or places to eat on 40 from Denver

Not necessarily diners. In Winter Park there's Deno's or Fontenots. A couple of local places in Kremmling, I think the Cupboard and Rocky Mt Bar, the names allude me. Steamboat Spgs there's Johnny B Goods, Freshies and the Shack Cafe. JW Snacks in Craig.........

There's quite a few more towns in Utah that might have the classic diner you're looking for. Should be pretty obvious as you travel Hwy 40.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
3,847 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cool diners or places to eat on 40 from Denver

Tarahumara in Midway is good for Mexican food. Park City is on the route and has a lot of great restaurants but isn't really a place for diners though. Ive heard there is a good one in Summit Park next an old Sinclair gas station. I can't remember the name though. In Salt Lake try Ruth's or Blue Plate. Park Cafe is a good bet too. For other restaurants, there are several options from Ethiopian to Sushi to Tapas. Try Mahider, Takashi, and Meditrina.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
3,847 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cool diners or places to eat on 40 from Denver

Also, might want to post on the Vernal Forum. It's the largest town in eastern Utah, next to Dinosaur National Monument. There are likely a few great options out that way.

Granby, Colorado
Level Contributor
42 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Cool diners or places to eat on 40 from Denver

Thanks.

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
Level Contributor
16,874 posts
388 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cool diners or places to eat on 40 from Denver

Great advice so far. It will be a little bleak after Steamboat. Vernal, though, is growing by leaps and bounds thanks to oil shale business. We always hit Cafe Rio there, but that's not exactly what you're seeking. In Heber City, you can try Chick's, the Hub and, more notably, Spin Cafe. All are great local eateries. For a real, authentic diner, you can get off route after Heber and head to Oakley for a visit to the Road Island Diner. This is an authentic east coast diner that was moved here 10-15 years ago. It was restored and now has new owners - really good food now. All in all, it will add about 30-40 minutes to your trip but I THINK it's the ONLY authentic diner close to your route. Look up Oakley, UT on Google Maps to get the routing from Heber City to Kamas to Oakley. From there, you can just head north to Wanship and pickup I-80 into SLC.

Have fun. We live at the termination of 40 outside Park City.

Roosevelt, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
1,107 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cool diners or places to eat on 40 from Denver

In the Uintah Basin (from Fruitland through to Dinosaur, CO) I'd recommend:

•Cowan's Cafe in Duchesne, UT

•Country Cafe (in the old Ft. Myton!) in Myton, UT

•Frontier Grill in Roosevelt, UT (homemade fry bread! YUM!!)

•Betty's Cafe in Vernal, UT

•7-11 Ranch Restaurant in Vernal, UT

*Pixie*

7. Re: Cool diners or places to eat on 40 from Denver

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 July 2015, 05:17