We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

National Harbor, Wyndham Resort, Oxon Hil

VA
Level Contributor
4 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
National Harbor, Wyndham Resort, Oxon Hil

Is the area that the resort is in safe?? I have heard from a friend that lives in the city that it is not a good or safe area with high crime? Parking is not safe etc? Any help appreciated

Thanks

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,123 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: National Harbor, Wyndham Resort, Oxon Hil

Just stayed at gaylord this weekend and area was very safe. Had there been a problem there was plenty of security.

VA
Level Contributor
4 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: National Harbor, Wyndham Resort, Oxon Hil

Thanks for that I just spoke with a friend who is a Police Officer who tells me there is 90 Homicides a year in PG county and it has more crime than all the other counties in MD put together! This apparently is a fact??

I am really nervous hearing statistics like that and have struggled to find anybody to say anything good about the area. I just do not want to be in a place that I can not park or feel safe.

I appreciate you taking the time to repsond.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
2,605 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: National Harbor, Wyndham Resort, Oxon Hil

The resort area itself is safe with security, etc. The area around it does not have a good reputation, no, and I would say that what that Police Officer said can't be argued with.

This issue aside, generally speaking, National Harbor isn't considered a good destination if your plan is to stay there and visit Washington D.C. Safety isn't the issue, but lack of transportation options. You either have to

a) have a car and drive into D.C. and park

b) take a combination of Metro Bus and Rail which take you through some undesirable areas

or

c) throw open your wallet to pay the resort for shuttle fees or use of a "water taxi" which takes you over to Alexandria. This is really a tourism company, not public transportation and can be expensive, and the schedule restrictive.

If you want to know more, and see more opinions, suggest you do a search on National Harbor in the Washington, D.C. forum, as many have asked the same question.

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
53,554 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: National Harbor, Wyndham Resort, Oxon Hil

"Thanks for that I just spoke with a friend who is a Police Officer who tells me there is 90 Homicides a year in PG county and it has more crime than all the other counties in MD put together! This apparently is a fact??"

I have no idea if that's a fact or not. But Prince George's County covers a lot of territory. Ask your police officer friend to tell you how many of the homicides occured at National Harbor.

I have only been there 3 times. So far, I have not been murdered.

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,123 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: National Harbor, Wyndham Resort, Oxon Hil

I would not hesitate to stay or visit Natl Harbor. Is it the best place to stay if you are visiting DC as opposed to going to a convention- not necessarily. It is very convenient to Old Towne Alexandria, Mt Vernon and is not that far from downtown if you have a car.

There were quite a few people in the restaurants and bars on Friday nite. So, not sure of the purpose of the visit, but the areas itself is just fine. No different that the fact that the downtown touristy areas of Baltimore, Philly, NY, Washington are safe which does not mean you want to travel anywhere in the city

La Plata, Maryland
Level Contributor
1,237 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: National Harbor, Wyndham Resort, Oxon Hil

About a decade ago, the motor vehicle theft rate in Pr. Geo. County skyrocketed up to 18,000 stolen motor vehicles per year (equal to one vehicle every half-hour, which was more than the rest of the State combined) but it is down to about half that now.

Edited: 11 May 2010, 17:32
7. Re: National Harbor, Wyndham Resort, Oxon Hil

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 November 2010, 05:17
Get answers to your questions about Oxon Hill