We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

March Visit-looking for photogenic areas

Youngstown, Ohio
Level Contributor
135 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
March Visit-looking for photogenic areas

My husband and I will be traveling with my sons competition team to National Harbor MD on March 13-17. We have been to the city on several occasions and seen the national monuments and Smithsonian museums. I wondered if there was anything that you guys would recommend that is near a metro stop but not part of the national monuments? Just my husband and myself so we are willing to try new things. We both love photography so any place that would have good photo ops. We will have our own car but would prefer not to drive in a lot of traffic. Looking to relax and unwind.

We usually eat more American style food (burgers, fries, steak) but would be interested in trying something new in that area as well. Last year I discovered Nandos Peri Peri and loved it. We do not enjoy seafood at all.

Thank you

Mentioned in this post
Desserts by Gerard
££ - £££, American
Shake Shack
£, American, Fast food
TAP Sports Bar
££ - £££, American, Bar, Pub
3 replies to this topic
ALEXANDRIA va
Level Contributor
759 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: March Visit-looking for photogenic areas

Just a heads up that there is no Metro (subway) at National Harbor.

good thing you have a car, because there is really no easy public transportation from the Oxon Hill shopping/convention center you are staying at. It has nothing to do with DC. except calling itself national.

the good news is that since you are not near any regular tourist place, the traffic is very light over there.

My recommendation would be to cross over the Woodrow Wilson bridge and drive down the GW parkway to Dyke march wildlife preserve

www.nps.gov/gwmp/planyourvisit/dykemarsh.htm

We love it. for trails and views. Very relaxing, plenty of free parking.

Then you are so close to Old Town Alexandria which has unique restaurants and historic sites, just a few minutes down the road.

But for burgers and such, National harbor is just fine.

Also consider Mt. Vernon

Again, if you have a car and do not want to go to DC, national Harbor is fine.

The problem is that many european visitors think it is close or convenient to DC and that there is a Metro there.

Hope this helps

Charm

Edited: 06 March 2013, 16:51
Mentioned in this post
Maryland, USA
Destination Expert
for Baltimore
Level Contributor
2,868 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: March Visit-looking for photogenic areas

I'll second Alexandria, VA. There is a water taxi that runs from the NH to Alexandria, although not sure if it will be running in March.

Mentioned in this post
Alexandria
Alexandria
Virginia
ALEXANDRIA va
Level Contributor
759 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: March Visit-looking for photogenic areas

SheliaLee

I agree of course with Mirage52 that you should visit the City of Alexandria.

However, the water taxi is rather expensive and since you have a car, I know it's a very short drive to Alexandria. We drove down to NH when it first opened to see the relocated statue of the Awakening Giant that had been at Hains Point in DC for many years, and was a landmark turnaround point for hundreds of road races, 5 K, 10 K and even my former favorite, the Marine Corps Marathon.

So we had to drive over once to see it. It's still just an Oxon Hill shopping center though with convention hotels.

Now Alexandria is a very different story. Here is a link to an old thread, and it does not have to be a Saturday morning. either. Lots of good links in one place. Again since you have a car, and there is plenty of two hour parking on the side streets or just park in the city garage for a fraction of what you are going to be charged for parking in NH., my recommendation is to drive over. Here's the link

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g30226-i572-k39081…

Mentioned in this post
Alexandria
Alexandria
Virginia
Hains Point
Hains Point
31 Reviews
Washington DC, DC
Marathon
Marathon
Florida Keys, FL
Oxon Hill