We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safest motel locations - avoid what areas?

Beebe, Arkansas
Level Contributor
22 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Safest motel locations - avoid what areas?

I know all cities have some areas you want to avoid staying near. We are passing through Albuquerque on June second and need a motel for that night. Is the Holiday Inn Express Balloon Fiesta Park, Clubhouse Inn or Laquinta West located in low crime areas? We want to avoid any seedy areas. What motel for a 1 night stay would you recommend? We will be coming from the East and would like something near I-40.

New Mexico
Level Contributor
17 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Safest motel locations - avoid what areas?

Hi Midgie:

If you are "passing through" Albuquerque...the one stop you will want to see is Albuquerque's historic"Old Town," the few square blocks of the original Spanish Albuquerque. The entrance is just four blocks south of I-40, on Rio Grande Blvd....at Mountain Road (which goes east to many museums). Take the Rio Grande Exit off westbound I-40. The "Little Anitas" Mexican Restaurant at Rio Grande/Mountain Road's corner is a good place to sample "New Mexican" fare.

I don't know how much dinero you have to spend for accomodations, but if you can afford a nice hotel...try the Hotel Albuquerque of Old Town (on Rio Grande Blvd., two blocks south of I-40...walk to Old Town & Restaurants). If you need something less expensive, try the Hampton Inn, or La Quinta West on Iliff (the first letter is an "i") Road, immediately south of I-40, at the Coors South Exit. I just wrote an article for a pilots magazine, and these three were all recommendations of mine. FYI...on Iliff Rd. there are EIGHT motels I think! These include a Motel 6, Days Inn, and Holiday Inn Express, so there are several choices price wise....all literally next to one another.

There is a Furr's Cafeteria within a short walking distance (which as cafeterias go, is very good), and a Village Inn :-(. Eat in the Old Town area if you want "New Mexican"! I hope you will alot at least half a day to Old Town and the museums (Natural History, Albuquerque history, Science museum, etc.) The weather should be warm and dry in June. Temps are not like West Texas or Arizona here however...probably 88-92 tops, and cool nights. Enjoy your stay. I've enjoyed Albuquerque enough to stay here for 24 years since moving from "humid" San Antonio! :-)

Do you think the gas will be $4.00 per gallon by June? !!!!! Have a safe trip!

Marina, California
Destination Expert
for Tucson
Level Contributor
6,370 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Safest motel locations - avoid what areas?

It's too bad you won't have more time in Albuquerque. You could spend at least two full days exploring the city, and it takes close to two weeks to see the surrounding area.

I'd avoid anything on Central Avenue outside of Old Town. There are a couple of strings of especially bad motels east of Carlisle and between Downtown and I-25.

I'd also avoid the airport area. The hotels are nice and it's not that bad an area, but everything will require a drive.

I just stayed at a Suburban Lodge (run by Choice Hotels, formerly a Homestead Suites) off I-40 at Carlisle for $35/night through the Choice Hotels site. It's convenient, has a full kitchen and was walking distance to a couple of restaurants and a supermarket. Not the best neighborhood, but safe during the day and you can certainly do worse in Albuquerque. Otherwise, there are tons of motels around that I-40/I-25 junction that are under $50.

Hotel Albuquerque is a good suggestion, and staying in Old Town is very convenient because of the amount of restaurants and shopping there. Some of the city's best restaurants are around there.

hth

St. Louis, MO
Level Contributor
42 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Safest motel locations - avoid what areas?

colinaz, what is your take on The Clubhouse Inn & Suites? We have reservations there as our last night in NM before catching our flight the next morning. It is rated high in Trip Advisor forums.

Nashville, TN
Level Contributor
768 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Safest motel locations - avoid what areas?

We also have reservations the Clubhouse Inn for one night in June, and I am also curious as to what the locals think about the neighborhood, location, etc.

Marina, California
Destination Expert
for Tucson
Level Contributor
6,370 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Safest motel locations - avoid what areas?

I'm not really that familiar Albuquerque, but I've driven by that hotel a few times.

The area is fine. It's mostly commercial/light-industrial but there are some restaurants around. I know that there's an Applebee's on Menaul just on the other side of I-25. The area just to the west and south of that is more sketchy. Still not a walkable area by any means though.

The interchange (called "The Big I" locally) is very, very busy but you can still use side streets to get to Downtown and Old Town fairly quickly even during peak hours. Freeway access may be somewhat difficult though.

hth

Belmont...
Level Contributor
672 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Safest motel locations - avoid what areas?

The hotel is fine, located off the freeway in a semi-business, semi-industrial area.

As for dining, I think that Applebee's, Furr's Cafeteria ( good only if you're half dead and on a bland diet ) and Village Inn would rank at the bottom of eateries I would recommend in Albuquerque no matter where you are staying. Closest to you, and walkable is Little Anita's which is a local chain and fairly decent for New Mexico cuisine, but more amusing and eclectic is The Range Cafe which is maybe 6 blocks east on Menaul.

Twisters is a yummy local chain, makes great breakfast, but the location near you is not good. It's a combination Twisters/Subway with poor service and is not clean.

If you have a car, the possibilities of dining are endless, Albuquerque is not big, so driving to many great restaurants would not take long at all.

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
123 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Safest motel locations - avoid what areas?

Don't know what kind of hotel/motel you're looking for, but we recently stayed near I-40 and Louisiana (just east of I-25). We found it to be safe. There are two malls (Winrock and Coronado, I think) and lots of food chains there.

8. Re: Safest motel locations - avoid what areas?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 August 2009, 20:18