We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Casista Chamisa

West Palm Beach...
Level Contributor
674 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Casista Chamisa

Have any of recenlty stayed at the Casita Chamisa?

Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
2,169 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Casista Chamisa

There are several reviews for "Casita Chamisa" on TripAdvisor, but the most recent are 2006. The review ratings are all over the board in the past years, but seem to have improved lately. So much of one's perception of such a unique place, is in what was expected before arriving.

If you are one who enjoys being left to their own devices, this seems to be a pretty good place. If, on the other hand, you are one who enjoys lots of attention from your host, you may want to look elsewhere.

West Palm Beach...
Level Contributor
674 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Casista Chamisa

Thanks for the input. We are really looking forward to a unique experience...not looking for a 5 star b&b or super luxury. I think the casitas and the surrounding area will really be nice. We will be going with another couple, so I think this will really work for us.

Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
2,169 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Casista Chamisa

Thanks for your thanks. :-)

Casita Chamisa lies in the heart of our Rio Grande River Valley, a semi-rural area, that is home to one of the oldest, continuously cultivated soils in America. Back to Anasazi times.The valley is often used as an "escape" by we residents of Albuquerque's "real world" of freeways, and busy streets. It sounds like you are seeking a laid-back, "getaway" too, plus an immersion into the rich, and diverse cultures of New Mexico.

Casita Chamisa, is just east of Rio Grande Blvd. which you can take south, straight to historic Old Town, and its variety of neighboring museums, east from the Rio Grande / Mountain Road corner. Beware though. Much of Rio Grande Blvd. is 25MPH, and "strictly" enforced. You're not in a hurry anyway are you? ;-)

There are several wineries in the valley, I'd recommend you try to get a tour and tasting at the Anderson Winery ...also on Rio Grande Blvd. They are the family of one of three Americans who first flew the Atlantic in a hot-air balloon, and long time supporters of the Balloon Fiesta.

North on Rio Grande Blvd....drive through the charming neighborhoods of Los Ranchos de Albuquerque, a little village within the city. Big homes, horse farms, etc. These homes include "Little" Al Unser's of the racing family here in Albuquerque. (Just look for the adobe wall on the west side of RGB with the racing wheels imbeded! Hard to miss! LOL!

Continue north on Rio Grande to Alameda Blvd. (Rio Grande ends there), go west, across the Rio Grande River, then immediately north on Corrales Road for more of the same "rural" New Mexico genre in the quaint little town of Corrales, where many of it's streets are still dirt. You will eventurally come out on NM528, just north of Rio Rancho, New Mexico's fastest growing city. You can return south on 528 to the Rio Grande, and Alameda bridge back to Rio Grande Blvd.

One last tip: you MUST try the El Pinto Restaurant (and outside patio if not too cold when you come), 10500 4th St. NW, in the far north end of Albuquerque. I don't know when you're coming but if it's in the fall, then ask for the "Fireplace" room. Their "Taco Salad" has more meat than lettuce! The chicken enchiladas with "green" (salsa) are also very good. Prepare to be asked, "Red or Green?" If you don't reply, "Red or green what?" You will pass as a non-tourista!

I hope your visit will be an unforgetable, "positive" experience for all of you. You can report on Casita Chamisa when you return home.

West Palm Beach...
Level Contributor
674 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Casista Chamisa

Thanks once again...You are a wealth of knowledge. We will be there at the end of October and will welcome some cool weather. Thanks, too, for the "heads up" regarding red or green.

Level Contributor
669 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Casista Chamisa

I think when it comes to hotels....you always have the good and the bad reviews. You have to ask youself do you stay somewhere because of the decor or because of the service? Ideally we want both. Both sometimes you get one or the other. If you like the decor and feel of this property give it a fair chance. It's in a nice neighborhood with Cottonwood Trees and you have attractions close by. You have the Rio Grande Nature Center, Los Pablanos Farms, Casa Rodena Winery, Anderson Vineyards. I don't know of anyone who has stayed there but I have not heard anything bad either. I'd say follow your heart and give them a try and then let us know what you think. I'm all about supporting the Indepenent Business Owner. (Short and Sweet!) Also I find when I stay in smaller properties I get better service versus staying in chains or properties owned by chains.

Belmont...
Level Contributor
672 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Casista Chamisa

I thought they tore down the fence when they turned his former property into subdivided lots. I believe they put his barn on city property near the Los Ranchos fire department.

I have to say that El Pinto may disappoint, since it is primarily tourists that eat there. And I am sure NM Photo meant green as in chile, not salsa! You don't want to go calling our chile anything but that. El Pinto does have ambiance but I'd vote for Las Mananitas, Padillas, Los Cuates, Eloys, etc. as more authentic/less touristy.

Level Contributor
669 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Casista Chamisa

Have to agree with Karma, the food at El Pinto isn't as tastey as some other places like Los Cuates or Sadies. Too me....the food there is too commericialized. But they do have a nice patio. Casa de Benavidez has a nice patio and good food.

Belmont...
Level Contributor
672 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Casista Chamisa

Casa de Benavidez has a beautiful patio but has such bad bad bad service. ( Our order did not print in the kitchen because the paper got stuck and the waitress forgot about us ) I also think their chile is unpredictable. Sometimes it is nicely warm and other times it will rip the lining of your mouth off.

Sadies is touristy too, but at least the food is good and the chile is not lethal.

Level Contributor
669 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Casista Chamisa

I'd say Los Cuates is your ticket to good local. It has been 3 years since Casa de Benavidez and good service is hard to find. Papa Nachos is a another good local gem but they do not have much seating.

10. Re: Casista Chamisa

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 September 2009, 03:18