We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

things to do off interstate 40

Which Albuquerque hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Kingsport, Tennessee
Level Contributor
58 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
things to do off interstate 40

Hello Everyone....my family and I are planning a RV road trip on interstate 40 going west from Tennessee can you recommend a place to see and spend the night in New Mexico

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
20,698 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: things to do off interstate 40

If you are only going to be on I40, then I would visit Albuquerque. Lots to do and there is Old Town with a plaza, shops and restaurants. There is a KOA on the eastern part of Abq and a few rv parks in the western part of Abq.

Also along I40 west of Abq is El Malpais Nat Mon and Gallup NM,

Marina, California
Destination Expert
for Tucson
Level Contributor
5,686 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: things to do off interstate 40

It depends on how long you have, but you could visit the Acoma Pueblo. It's considered the oldest continuously-inhabited place in the country (although others claim to be also) and is really a beautiful site. It takes about 30 minutes from the interstate to get to the parking lot and tours take a couple of hours.

If you want more outdoor stuff, you can get off I-40 east of Albuquerque on Highway 3, which itself is a historic Spanish trail, and up to Villanueva. The village is nice and indicative of Northern NM culture in itself, but it's also surrounded by a nice state park that flanks the Pecos River just before it enters into more rough, inaccessible country to the east.

Santa Rosa is also a nice little town and they have the famous Blue Hole, an artesian spring so clear that it's very popular with regional divers. It is also, however, consistently cold, even in the summer.

You'll have much more choice in Albuquerque for hotels but, if you're just looking for a pull-off/sleep/pull-on sort of place, look into Tucumcari or Grants, which are both highly competitive on hotel rates and typically have plenty of rooms available as they lack much of a tourist industry other than interstate traffic passer-thrus.

Kingsport, Tennessee
Level Contributor
58 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: things to do off interstate 40

Thanks for the helpful tips, we are taking a 2 week trip and plan on driving from Memphis to New Mexico which is about 15 hours, so the first night will be to sleep I am sure but we had planned on stay a couple of days. We don't mind driving a couple hundred miles north or south if there is just a place that must be seen. This will be our first trip out west , just wanted to spend a little time in each state before heading to Yellowstone. Thanks Again

Marina, California
Destination Expert
for Tucson
Level Contributor
5,686 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: things to do off interstate 40

If you're willing to drive that far off of I-40, then go to Santa Fe and spend at least two days there. It's quintessentially New Mexico.

Level Contributor
669 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: things to do off interstate 40

In Arkansas....check out the all u can eat KFC outside of Little Rock.

In NM there is a RV park just off I-40...or you can stay at the Coronado Monument or KOA in Bernalillo just outside Albuquerque. Be sure to get some rugs and jewelery in Gallup..better prices than Santa Fe. Get a pecan log at Stuckeys at the Blue Water exit..you can buy fireworks there too for the kiddies. If you are traveling in the summer...check out the lakes at Santa Rosa. Also in the summer there is a wester dinner show in Moriarity. Stop at Old Town off the Rio Grande exit from I-40 or check out the Indian Pueblo Cultural Center off 12th Street from I-40.

A fun gift shop outside of Gallup is the Continental Divide. Before Gallup is the Giant Travel Center with good dinner/breakfast. In Grants there is the Ice Caves or you can diverge into Ramah and check out the Wolf Sanctuary.

6. Re: things to do off interstate 40

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 September 2009, 21:17