We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Never been to Allbuquerque...

Which Albuquerque hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
13 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Never been to Allbuquerque...

My bf is going to Albuquerque for business at the end of April and I'm trying to figure out if I should go with him or not. We are both from San Diego and are 33 years old. What is there to do in Albuquerque? We will most likely go on a Thursday and Friday night. Is there any nightlife, good restaurants, shopping? Should I go or stay at the beach?

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
20,782 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Never been to Allbuquerque...

If you have never been to NM, I would take the quick trip to Abq!

You will find nice restaurants, interesting museums and plenty of shopping.

Visit www.itsatrip.org for tons of info on Abq.

Level Contributor
13 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Never been to Allbuquerque...

Thanks! I will check out the website.

Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
141 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Never been to Allbuquerque...

I'm originally from San Diego, and now reside in Albuquerque. Completely diferent locales.

The nightlife in Albuquerque will pale in comparison to that of San Diego. Your best bet, though, would be either downtown (Central Ave. between 2nd and 7th) or the Uptown area. Downtown has a fair variety of bars/clubs including dance clubs, billiards halls, and just bars in general. The most popular nights are Thurs, Fri. and Sat. Expect a college type of crowd.

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
226 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Never been to Allbuquerque...

I was in the same situation 5 years ago -- my husband had a business trip to ABQ and asked me to go. I wasn't too excited about going to Albuquerque, New Mexico in September but decided to give it a try.

Little did I know that we would be there in peak chile pepper season. Well to make a long story short, we got hooked on the chile peppers and the city and have been back every year since.

There is lots of shopping, museums and tons of excellent restaurants. We found that most of our favorite restaurants are cheap too. Old Town is great to walk around for a relaxing afternoon, and if you can swing an extra day take a drive to Santa Fe. I don't know what it is about Albuquerque but everytime I get off the plane I feel that warm relaxed feeling. It really is the Land of Enchantment. Don't miss out on this trip - I'm glad I didn't.

New Mexico
Level Contributor
385 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Never been to Allbuquerque...

I've lived in ABQ for 20 years + and love it, primarily for the mountains and outdoor activities.

A couple of suggestions:

Take the tram to the top of Sandia Peak and hike around. It's absolutely beautiful with breathtaking views of the city below. There is also a restraunt up there (High Finance) for which I don't particularly care for the food, but stop in for a beer before heading back. It will still be a little chilly up there in late April, so dress accordingly (jeans, sweat shirt, jacket, hat, possibly some light gloves). Don't need to get the heavy winter gear out, but it will be chilly.

Check out Old Town; fun shopping and some good eats. I recommend the little french place, La Crepe Michelle.

Try some New Mexican food (not Mexican); this is completely different. Try El Pinto, good food and great atmosphere. Smother that burriot in red or green chile (or both), wash it down with a margaritta or two, and you're good to go. As you might expect, there are literally hundreds of choices for outstanding New Mexican food here, but this is where I like to take my out of town friends. Make reservations ahead of time if you can, it can get pretty busy.

A note on the weather - Weather this time of year in NM can be rather unpredictable. It could be 85 and sunny or snowing. It's not normal to have snow at the end of April, but it has happend. Keep an eye on the forecast before you head out so you can be dressed accordingly. Also, can get pretty wind this time of year.

New Mexico
Level Contributor
385 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Never been to Allbuquerque...

P.S. to my original response. No trip the NM is complete without hitting "the city different" Santa Fe, at least for the day; it's about an hour drive north of ABQ. Browse the shops and vendors on the Plaza, walk Canyon Road and enjoy the art galleries, and take in the many historical sites Santa Fe has to offer; also enjoy numerous options for great dining experiences and check out the downtown bars for happy hour

7. Re: Never been to Allbuquerque...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 September 2009, 14:20