We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Things to do between two sessions at Balloon Fiesta

Which Albuquerque hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Saint-Jean-sur-Riche...
Level Contributor
64 posts
141 reviews
Save Topic
Things to do between two sessions at Balloon Fiesta

We will be at the Balloon Fiesta for the first time on October 4, 2008. After the morning session, we would like to get out of the park and visit Old Town Albuquerque or something else and come back for the evening session. Is it a good idea and do we have enough time considering traffic, parking, admission etc? I think we will have to pay twice, isn't it?

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
20,709 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Things to do between two sessions at Balloon Fiesta

You will have plenty of time to visit Old Town between the morning and evening balloon events. Visit the plaza, some museums and you can even drive out to Petroglyph Nat Mon.

I don't know about entrance fees... we usually only go to 1 event a day!

Saint-Jean-sur-Riche...
Level Contributor
64 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Things to do between two sessions at Balloon Fiesta

Thank you CasaAzul. We have too an international balloon festival here in Saint-Jean-sur-Richelieu(Qc). Much less balloons but many musical concerts.

Albuquerque, NM
Level Contributor
36 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Things to do between two sessions at Balloon Fiesta

You will have plenty to see the site between morning and the evening. I suggest taking the park and ride to the fiesta so you don't have to fight the traffic and they drop you right at the balloon park. They you can get in your car and go elsewhere which will not be crowded. Old Town is a great place to visit, I just got a part time job at the covered wagon in Old Town and they have every souvenior you can think of. Not to mention the other shops and restaurants in the area are also great to walk around in.

New Mexico
Level Contributor
385 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Things to do between two sessions at Balloon Fiesta

Will you be spending any additional time in New Mexico, or just the day? If you plan on spending additional time, there is soooo much to see and do.

If you're here for the day, I would also recommend the Sandia Tram Way to the top of the mountain. Beautiful views of the city and great hiking up top.

Saint-Jean-sur-Riche...
Level Contributor
64 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Things to do between two sessions at Balloon Fiesta

Thanks amarc and NMdesertdiver pour your suggestions. We will be a few days in New Mexico. In Albuquerque, we will arrive on Friday afternoon (Oct. 3) and will leave on Sunday (Oct. 5) for Arizona. I'ts part of a two weeks circuit. I was thinking if Sandia Peak Aerial Tram, but it looks like some of other that we have already done; like Mount San Jacinto at Palm Springs,Ca I'm I right?

Fruita, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Fruita, Grand Junction
Level Contributor
6,004 posts
222 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Things to do between two sessions at Balloon Fiesta

I believe you do have to pay to get back in for the evening but we just paid to park and sat in the car since it is the glow effect that you want to see and then the fireworks. You will have plenty of time to see Old Town during the day. It was great to get back to some good New Mexican food. I sure do miss the excellent green chile stew.

Saint-Jean-sur-Riche...
Level Contributor
64 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Things to do between two sessions at Balloon Fiesta

SusieLou, as I read documentation about the Fiesta, it seems that we must pay a second time. Is it possible to have good view to the Night Glow from any parking lot around the site or is there a particular lot that is well located for that show? I want to take pictures, will that be near enough?

Thank you very much.

New Mexico
Level Contributor
385 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Things to do between two sessions at Balloon Fiesta

I'm sure the Tramway is similar to what you have done in the past with the exception that it is the world's longest aerial tramway. The views of Albuquerque from the top are spectacular, and if you can make it for sun set, it is absolutely spectacular. My wife and I love riding the tram up, hiking around, and enjoying the sunset over the city.

If you are here for a couple of days though, you should not miss out on Santa Fe. You can easily spend a week in the area and not see everything. If you've already done tramways before, I would recommend spending a couple days in Santa Fe. You could spend a day on the Plaza and Canyon Road, and if you're into some hiking and interesting native sites, I would recommend Bandelier National Monument in the Jemez mountains, just outside of Los Alamos. This is an easy day trip from Santa Fe.

Saint-Jean-sur-Riche...
Level Contributor
64 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Things to do between two sessions at Balloon Fiesta

To everyone who knows well the Balloon Fiesta. In order to plan our time with all the suggestions I've received till now.

As we are from a region in Canada were there is an annual Balloon Fiesta but smaller, (see there): http://www.montgolfieres.com/en/index.asp

I would like to kmow if the Twilight Twinkle Glow really worth to come back to the site. How many balloons are there usually for that night session? Here, usually it varies from 10 to 25 because they have to come back to the site after a late afternoon ascension and it depends how far they landed. I suppose that at Albuquerque there's a lot more.

Thank you for your help. Gaetan

Fruita, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Fruita, Grand Junction
Level Contributor
6,004 posts
222 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Things to do between two sessions at Balloon Fiesta

If you already have seen the balloon glow at your own balloon festival and have a limited time in New Mexico it may not be worth returning just for that. I would also suggest going on to see Santa Fe since it is a wonderful town and has some unique things. Also, weather dictates what events actually occur during the balloon festival - things can change at the last minute so it is always good to have other things planned to do instead.