We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How long to allow for Petroglyph, Coronado & Acoma Pueblo?

Which Albuquerque hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
1,235 posts
114 reviews
Save Topic
How long to allow for Petroglyph, Coronado & Acoma Pueblo?

Hi,

Just trying to get our itinerary sorted for the 4 days and nights we will be spending in the Albuquerque area.

We would like to fit in both Petroglyph and Cornado State Monuments as well as Acoma Pueblo Sky City as part of one day. I would guess our best best would be to head out west first thing but what is the best order to do them in, and how long should we allow for the three places individually?

The rest of the day would be taken up with exploring Downtown (Old Town is a seperate day) and maybe doing some shopping at the Cottonwood Mall.

Any help greatly appreciated as always.

Cheers

Ju

Marina, California
Destination Expert
for Tucson
Level Contributor
5,904 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How long to allow for Petroglyph, Coronado & Acoma Pueblo?

Petroglyph NM, allocate about 2 hours for it plus the drive time. There's not a whole lot to see, but it is interesting. Personally, I'd do it right before I went to Cottonwood Mall since it's fairly close to that.

Acoma Pueblo will take most of the day with driving, waiting for the bus and walking. You may want to do something else out there because of the long drive, like El Malpais or Chaco Canyon, or maybe both and make it an overnight trip. You seem interested in pueblo ruins, so you should check out Chaco Canyon, because it's definitely a granddaddy as far as ruins go.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
20,849 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How long to allow for Petroglyph, Coronado & Acoma Pueblo?

Coronado State Monument probably 1 - 2 hours. Petroglyph 1 - 2 hours and at least 1/2 a day for Acoma.

You may also want to visit the Pueblo Cultural Center.

Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
122 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How long to allow for Petroglyph, Coronado & Acoma Pueblo?

hi Ju

I remember you from another post. Where did you end up getting a room at? Just curious.

I always tell folks to do The Petroglyph Nat'l Monument in the morning right after breakfast, so you don't get too hot up there. I feel it is cooler at Acoma, so I do that in the afternoon.

I think that the Coronado Monument would be a spectacular place to visit in the late afternoon, and ....if they are open 'till sunset....be there! The view of the Sandia Mountains is great from there and they really light up at sunset. You can see the mountains well from the Petroglyphs too, but tha angle is better in Bernalillo, (Coronado).

Cheers to you too!

sj

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
1,235 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How long to allow for Petroglyph, Coronado & Acoma Pueblo?

Hi SJ,

Yes it is me again. Just finalising our plans now and getting down to the nitty gritty, hence this question and a few others asked in the past week or so.

Thanks for the advice. I now have a good idea of how much time to allow and when best to see these places. It's going to be a busy day, but that's part of the fun of travelling. We are not beach lovers particularly, and prefer to be active, so these 8 nights in NM look as though they will suit us down to the ground. At least we then have Vegas to chill (probably not the right word) but I guess you know what I mean!!!

We opted for the Howard Johnson North Albuquerque. Rated so highly on Tripadvisor and only $60 a night including breakfast, plus we will have a car, so no location issues. We did look at B&B's but prices were prohibitive in most cases.

Still got the room booked in Santa Fe (Holiday Inn) which we got off Hotwire for $39.

4 nights in Albuquerque, followed by 4 in Santa Fe. Arrive 9th August, hopefully mid afternoon (short connection time at Houston permitting) and very very much looking forward to it.

Thanks again,

Cheers

Julian

5. Re: How long to allow for Petroglyph, Coronado & Acoma Pueblo?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 October 2009, 20:19