We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Late Feb

denver, co
Level Contributor
68 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Late Feb

Will be in Albuquerque for two nights late Feb. to clebrate 42nd anniversary. What kind of weather do we have? Good place for a nice reasonable not mexican dinner. We love Garcia's but want something else one night. Thanks

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
21,167 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Late Feb

Congrats on 42 years!!

Late Feb can be warm or cold, usually Abq averages 40's-50's in late Feb. Could be warmer or colder.

I will leave the restaurant suggestions to the Abq folks. We usually have Mexican when in Abq. We used to eat at Trombino's in the NE part of Abq. Also the Corn Maiden at Tamaya Resort in Bernalillo is excellent.

Enjoy your trip.

New Hartford...
Level Contributor
159 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Late Feb

You can expect cold nights but nice days (usually sunny, 50s), unless you happen to catch us during a storm.

What kind of restaurant are you looking for? There are a lot of nice ones these days. Personally, for a nice night out and delicious meal, I like Yanni's on Central in Nob Hill. Scalo is good, also on Central. There a small romantic French restaurant up on Montgomery called Chez Axel that would be a nice place for an anniversay dinner. Let me know more of what you're looking for and I might have some other suggestions. Enjoy your visit!

Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
345 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Late Feb

Yes, congrats boydog! And congrats to Mrs. boydog as well!

A nice reasonable not mexican dinner, huh? Well, I'm at that age where nothing seems reasonable anymore, but here goes. Not sure what part of town you're in, so I'll throw some out from all over.

These first restaurants are about $18-$25 per entree:

Trombino's was mentioned, and I like that restaurant, but I like Vivace better (for Italian). It's in the university area. Love the chicken marsala, the fillet, and the grillled salmon.

Also in the university area, I love Zinc Wine Bar and Yanni's. All three of these restaurants are very close to each other. At Zinc I love the steak and the hamburger. And the bloody mary. At Yanni's, I love the fish and those stuffed grape leaves. Can't remember what they're called.

On the west side, I like Pelican's. Good fresh seafood and blackened prime rib. There's one on the east side, but I haven't eaten there in years. Some friends ate there recently and liked it.

These are about $10-$18 per entree:

Far NE heights, I'd go to Little Tokyo (if you like Japanese food) or Scalo (pasta, pizza, salad and wine).

I've always wanted to try the Oasis restaurant, and Marcello's Chop House. I've heard good things about both.

So there's my quick recommends. I also enjoy this website: www.nmgastronome.com. I don't know who the reviewer is, but I find that he's a handy source when I want to go somewhere new in my hometown.

Enjoy your anniversary, and best wishes for many more!

Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
345 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Late Feb

Sorry! I meant to say Scarpa's in the NE heights.

Last poster mentioned Scalo, which I confused with Scarpa's. Both are good, but I may have confused you.

Scarpa's is in the NE heights, Scalo is university/nob hill area near Yanni's, Zinc, and Vivace. Scarpa's is more casual, Scalo is a more upscale restaurant.

Lo siento!

Belmont...
Level Contributor
672 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Late Feb

I second Vivace for pretty good Italian, and they are on 999.dine which can save you a little.

Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
2,169 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Late Feb

We are so used to recommending "New Mexican" food restaurants, it almost comes as a shock to have to think about "other" cuisine. :-)

As someone else said, "reasonable" is one thing to one person, and something else to another.

My recommendtion for both a romantic atmosphere, and very good food, would be the Antiquity Restaurant, tucked away in the Southwest corner of our historic Old Town area, near Rio Grande Blvd. & Central Ave.(old Route 66).

Here on T/A, it is currently the number one rated restaurant in Albuquerque, although those ratings always have to be taken with a grain of salt, and that had nothing to do with my personal recommendation. I'd recommend reservations.

You can get more information about Antiquity, here:

tripadvisor.com/Restaurants-g60933-Albuquerq…

Congratulations to you both! After 42 years together, you should be celebrating!

denver, co
Level Contributor
68 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Late Feb

Thank you everyone!! Some wonderful suggestions. We will be staying near Old Town (so we can lunch at Garcis'a at least once)!! However, we will have a car. Seafood sounds good to me and perhaps seafood or steak for my love of 42 years. Thought we might do a trip up the Turquoise Trail as a side trip - any comments. Someone here said the Frontier is good for a late night bite and are open 24/7 (for the day of our arrival) - is this still so?

Thanks again

Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
345 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Late Feb

Yes, the Frontier is open for late nite bites. It is located directly across from the University on Central. I love the Frontier. I love their fiesta burger, huevos rancheros with green chili stew, and fresh tortillas covered with butter and honey. Yum!!!

When I am in that area late at night, I usually see some pretty interesting characters. Just be aware of your surroundings when you're getting in and out of your car, and I wouldn't leave your bags in the car when you go: drop them off at the hotel first.

That said, the Frontier is a real Abq tradition, if you ask me, and I wouldn't miss it! Have fun!

Oklahoma City...
Level Contributor
56 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Late Feb

Try looking into the Gruet house. My in laws go there for their anniversary celebrations.

Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
345 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Late Feb

The last poster is correct, the Gruet steak house is good, but like Marcello's Chop House, their prices are on the high side.

Luckily, their menu is online, so you can check it out for yourself!

www.gruetwinery.com/menu1.htm

Enjoy!