We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Clothes required Aug through May

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,585 posts
250 reviews
Save Topic
Clothes required Aug through May

Hi As my son will be spending August through to Mid May in ALQ studying. He's wondering what sort of clothes he will need for his time. As he will be limited on weigh on the flight over from the UK. He knows it will be hot when he arrives so shorts (short pants) will be OK but will it get cold for jeans and long pants, sweaters and coats?

Boo

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
21,097 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Clothes required Aug through May

Yes it will get cold enough for jeans, long sleeves and a coat. It does snow in Albuquerque in the winter. I'm sure he can find winter clothes when you arrive in August, most stores here will have back to school sales on jeans, jackets, boots, etc. Check www.wunderground.com for weather info and also for local news, www.kob.com

Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
345 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Clothes required Aug through May

If he's studying at UNM, be sure he's got some good sturdy shoes that will get him across campus and keep him warm and dry during storms. He could also use them for hiking, if he likes to do that: this is a wonderful place to explore nature. We've got gorgeous mountains, tons of hiking trails, and lots of sunshine.

Sometimes I see students wearing shorts and flip flops during snow storms, so maybe I'm old fashioned. Or just old, I don't know! ;)

Level Contributor
669 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Clothes required Aug through May

If he's into young fashion a "hoodie" works for all seasons of the year. Clothing here is very cheap compared to where you are from so I'd have him buy a heavy jacket here if he needs one. Jeans and cargo shorts are great to have here as well. New Mexico is very casual and laid back...comfort is the key.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
6,678 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Clothes required Aug through May

Maybe he should pick up warmer clothes here in NM. He might want to buy some UNM sweatshirts or "hoodies." The UNM Bookstore (on Central Ave, right across for Frontier Restaurant) has a good amount of clothing for sale.

I find for myself, I travel light and buy clothes where I go, that is also a souvenir. He may wear out a few things, maybe donate or mail back more while he is here (T shirts, socks, etc.) I understand that with the lower dollar, clothing is cheaper in US, and we also have many lower cost good quality stores (Target is a favorite, Old Navy another).

Weather is variable. While it is on the warmer side, ABQ and north is NOT the hot desert a lot of people think of (which is more Arizona). It is usually sunny (great) but we do get snow, etc. I guess the average winter temp. is 40 (F). You don't need "arctic" clothing either, but a warm outdoors jacket and a sweater/sweatshirt/hoodie is good.

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,585 posts
250 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Clothes required Aug through May

Oh thanks for your replies, its good to get an idea of what to bring etc. As at home here he lives in jeans,tees & hoodies.

Boo

Albuquerque, New...
Destination Expert
for Albuquerque, New Mexico
Level Contributor
1,857 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Clothes required Aug through May

Layers.

Vail, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Vail
Level Contributor
1,344 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Clothes required Aug through May

Jeans, Tees and Hoodies will be perfect, he'll fit right in.

8. Re: Clothes required Aug through May

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 August 2010, 07:18