We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

5 day trip

Longmeadow, MA
11 posts
Save Topic
5 day trip

I am planning on going to Albuquerque in Aug. for 5 days with my 75 y/o mother so I have a few questions. Looking for recommendations for hotels and/or good areas of the city to stay in. Also, trying to decide if we need to rent a car. Are there trains or bus trips to Santa Fe? Any help is appreciated!

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
21,588 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 5 day trip

Probably a car rental would be best. Lots of walking between hotels and buses and trains.

There is a train, the Railrunner between Abq and Santa Fe. Once in Santa Fe there is a free shuttle to the Plaza area.

I would stay near Old Town while in Abq, Hotel Albuquerque is nice.

Check on www.itsatrip.org for info on Abq and www.santafe.org for Santa Fe.

Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
2,169 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 5 day trip

I would also recommend you stay in the Old Town area, as it offers many diverse shops, restaurants, and museums within a short walk of one another. If not Old Town, look for hotels in the Uptown area near Louisiana & Menaul.

The Hotel Albuquerque of Old Town would be the best offering, followed by the Best Western Rio Grande. The Bottger Mansion in SE Old Town is a very nice Victorian B&B.

Restaurants? Little Anitas at Rio Grande and Mountain; the Church Cafe on the little street behind the old church on the plaza; or the St. Clair Bistro, if you like some tasty wines with your meals.

It will be much less of a hassle if you rent a car. Hopefully, you can also take in Santa Fe for a day...or even better, Santa Fe & Taos/Taos Pueblo too. August will be warm but not hot, with light afternoon thundershowers not being that uncommon.

P.S. Unless mom is a Senior Olympian (in great shape) let her have the first day/night to get used to our mile-high plus elevations. Enjoy your visit.

Taos, New Mexico
Level Contributor
644 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 5 day trip

We throw our 2-cents worth in for Old Town as well. There are some great little B&B's right in the Old Town area and the reviews of them on TripAdvisor.com indicate they're among the best in the entire State (and that means a lot considering that there are over 50 B&B's just in the State Association and lots more who aren't). Here are a couple of links we hope are helpful:

http://www.nmbba.org

or TripAdvisor.com reviews at:

tripadvisor.com/Hotels-g60933-c2-Albuquerque…

Have a great trip.

4. Re: 5 day trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 August 2010, 07:16