We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Should we buy in East Mountains subdivision?

Which Albuquerque hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
California
Level Contributor
324 posts
45 reviews
Save Topic
Should we buy in East Mountains subdivision?

is there life in the East Mountains? We just returned from what we thought was a very preliminary retirement home search of Albuquerque area (spent most of in Galisteo). We were not looking to buy this soon, but we did find a 10-acre parcel in the San Pedro Creek sub that we are actually thinking of buying. I would love to hear from anyone who knows this area, about 15 mins. north of 40 on the Turquoise Trail (route 14). Obviously, there's not much there right now, but is this on the verge of changing? We would probably be living there in 5-10 years. The only thing that really cooled us off was the drive into Albuquerque, which couldn't be uglier on Hwy. 40. What are they doing on that road? Other questions about East Mountains area: Where do you go for dinner? Where can you get a latte? We have no children and don't golf, but love to hike and travel. It seems to me that with all those very upscale homes going in and the gorgeous views, there is bound to be growth in this area in the not-TOO-distant future. Stefraffel, I'd love to correspond with you - it sounds like you bought here as well. We are currently in the SF Bay Area where life is pretty good, but want more country when we leave here. Thanks for any intelligence!

Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
803 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Should we buy in East Mountains subdivision?

In 2 words a reply to is there life in East Mtns....Not much. I don't imagine that in 5 to 10 years anything much will happen there. It has always been rural and will for the most part continue to stay that way. That is what most people who live there like about it. The drive into town is bad in the winter...roads close, snow and ice and they don't take very good care of the roads. There isn't a supermarket there, a few restaurants...latte?? don't think so. I would try Placitas if you want land and easier access to town.

Level Contributor
669 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Should we buy in East Mountains subdivision?

I agree with Debits..Placitas may be a better choice for you...you are minutes from a Starbucks and only minutes from Rio Rancho and Albuquerque. The East mountains get really rough in regards to driving in the winter time and I-40 always has accidents or is closed when there is a major snow storm.

Austin, TX.
Level Contributor
4,889 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Should we buy in East Mountains subdivision?

Your questions regarding real estate should be posed to real estate PROFESSIONALS in that area.

Level Contributor
669 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Should we buy in East Mountains subdivision?

Message for Steve...I don't have to be a real estate agent to give advice....I am local to the area and live near the vicinity. Agents will tell you anything to make the sale.

Palm Springs
2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Should we buy in East Mountains subdivision?

My significant other and I are both California natives. We recently opened a 2nd bar ( we have one in Palm Springs ) in Albuquerque. We wanted to buy a home in the East mtns. But, we realized the potential for being "stuck" during the winter. We discovered an area called Four Hills in ABQ, along the mountains. We love it! It's like being in the country to us. But, minutes from our business and close to just about anything one needs.

Palm Springs
2 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Should we buy in East Mountains subdivision?

My significant other and I are both California natives. We recently opened a 2nd bar ( we have one in Palm Springs ) in Albuquerque. We wanted to buy a home in the East mtns. But, we realized the potential for being "stuck" during the winter. We discovered an area called Four Hills in ABQ, along the mountains. We love it! It's like being in the country to us. But, minutes from our business and close to just about anything one needs. I suspect most new growth will be to the North and West of us. And that's just fine! :-)

Northeast
Level Contributor
54 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Should we buy in East Mountains subdivision?

We spent a week in Albuquerque in September to check out the area as a potential retirement spot. One part of the East Mountains that we really liked was Edgewood, where there is some new development going on. The benefit is that it is in a flat area, so I don't think there would be the same winter commute problem. It was also close enough to Route 40 that you could get to Albuquerque in about 15 to 20 minutes.

Level Contributor
78 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Should we buy in East Mountains subdivision?

Have any of you looked at Las Cruces? I posted some info about our retirement home search experiences so far back in Nov. 05. We have discussed it some since then and we are pretty serious about purchasing a lot at Sonoma Ranch in Las Cruces. I have seen articles in Money magazine and Where to Retire magazine over the past couple of months and Las Cruces is getting a lot of positive comments. We are seven or eight years from retirement but we feel like now is a good time to invest in Las Cruces as it is already a nice area and the prices are more reasonable than ABQ and much more than Santa Fe. We also like the looks of the weather more.

If anyone has any opinions or advice, I would love to hear it. We are slightly concerned about how close it is to the Mexico border because of some of the things you hear but I am certainly no convinced that it could really affect our life or the continued growth and improvement of the area. I have heard it called the next Tuscon so it could really boom in the next few years.

California
Level Contributor
324 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Should we buy in East Mountains subdivision?

Thank you to everyone who replied to my post. We went back to look at San Pedro Creek Estates again, and I think we may buy there. We love the idea of having all that property, with houses around you but not on top of you, and the views are stupendous! Plus, we need to be within an hour of a decent airport as my husband will continue to travel for business, so that lets out Las Cruces. The locals we talked to really downplayed the issue of getting into town in winter, saying the road only closes for a few hours once or twice a season. Is this accurate?

BTW, we stayed at Elaine's B&B on Hwy. 14 and it was extremely comfortable. It's tucked back off the road, and I didn't know what to expect, but we really enjoyed it. I loved our Sangre de Cristo room - on the top floor, private balcony, great views, fireplace.

Edgewood, New Mexico
Level Contributor
23 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Should we buy in East Mountains subdivision?

Glad to hear you enjoyed your trip back here. I love the landscape around San Pedro Creek sub and would love to live there myself! The views are simply stunning.

Re: I-40 closures. Husband and I live in Edgewood, husband commutes daily to I-25 & Almeda. There's been a couple times in the past 3 years that he hasn't been able to make the drive, but who doesn't love a snowday once every couple of years. As for the commute through the canyon, I have to disagree with a forum poster who said the drive was ugly--well, beauty is in the eye of the beholder and I don't believe I'll ever tire of the rocky hill drive.

BTW, did you find your latte? I like stopping at Coffee at Dawn on 14 in Sandia Crest. They even have a jar of dog treats for the canine family members.