We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Altitude of albuquerque.....

Which Albuquerque hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Florida
Level Contributor
153 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Altitude of albuquerque.....

Hello everyone:

I'm on my way for a visit to Albuquerque and I'd like

to know:Do I have to be concerned about altitude in the area?I'm

in general good health.Many thanks for your reply.....caravallo.

Taos, New Mexico
Level Contributor
644 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Altitude of albuquerque.....

Albuquerque's altitude is anywhere between 5000 and 5300 feet or so. It usually doesn't present a problem for anyone in good health.

The most important thing is to drink plenty of fluids the whole time you're there. If you're planning on doing something strenuous such as a hike along one of the many trails along the mountainside, spend a day in town before going.

Albuquerque, New...
Destination Expert
for Albuquerque, New Mexico
Level Contributor
1,855 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Altitude of albuquerque.....

Albuquerque, like Denver, is a mile-high city. Elevations in the foothills can be about 6,000 feet. Obviously, lower in the valley. The crest is over 10,000 feet (if you take the tram up). Most people probably don't notice the altitude in the city, but occasionally you'll hear about someone having a mild headache their first day. That may also be due to dehydration in this climate. Many elite athletes take advantage of this altitude to train.

Vail, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Vail
Level Contributor
1,304 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Altitude of albuquerque.....

Hydration and moderation are key. Cocktails are best sipped at a slower pace than normally. Also bring some lip balm and sunscreen/moisturizer, lack of humidity can be rough on the skin and the higher altitude means closer to the sun.

Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
2,169 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Altitude of albuquerque.....

Albuquerque is always a good place to "adjust" to Northern New Mexico's higher altitudes for a day or two if one is flying in. The Rio Grande River is about 4,800ft., and a drive just 8-10 miles east can put you at over 6,000ft. while still being within the city's eastern edge, which abuts the Sandia Mountains. (Sandia Peak is over 10,000ft.)

Santa Fe and Taos are over 7,000ft. elevation, so people who travel directly there, often have more adjustment problems than here in Albuquerque. All good advice to you so far...I'll add, don't forget a cap/hat if coming in summer, and "dark" sunglesses too. Enjoy your visit!

5. Re: Altitude of albuquerque.....

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 October 2010, 07:19