We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

mass ascension

Which Albuquerque hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
roswell ga
Level Contributor
76 posts
61 reviews
Save Topic
mass ascension

there are no mass ascensions planned for when we are in abq. we will be there on the 7 & 8. is it worth rearranging our vacation or driving in from santa fe to see a mass ascension? will there be enough balloons going up on the 7 &8? it is our first fiesta experience and we are so excited. is the traffic as bad mid-week?

Albuquerque, New...
Destination Expert
for Albuquerque, New Mexico
Level Contributor
1,857 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: mass ascension

Were you planning only 7 & 8 for ABQ and other days for Santa Fe? There's a mass ascension on 6, and the big weekend ones on 9 & 10. Mornings of 7 & 8 are special shape rodeos, sort of a mass ascension but only for special shaped balloons, which are fun, especially for children (of all ages). Special shape glows are those nights, too. A larger, favorite glow is the night of the 8th. I think mass ascensions are the highlight. (The more traditional balloon fiesta experience.) Mass ascensions include the special shapes. Midweek traffic ought to be better, but I'm not sure I'd say it's significantly better. Drive from Santa Fe for a balloon event would not be impossible at all and I bet many do that. (Still not sure about the train schedules.) You have to drive early no matter where you're coming from, and you're adding about an hour from Santa Fe. (There's some construction between Bernalillo and the first ABQ exit that will slow you down.) There should be lots of taillights along the way. If you make any adjustments, best to plan still to play it by ear, as weather can be factor. Wind may especially come into play for special shapes. Assuming you're not here before 7th, 9th is best day to plan for mass ascension, since it gives you two chances that weekend. If it's nice weather, all mass ascensions should be great! It's been my observation that if weather becomes bad at the end, pilots may travel earlier than planned (even tho there's a holiday on Monday, which helps). But I also think the pilots are pretty dedicated lot and try to stick it out. Even on iffy, borderline weather days, maybe not all 700+ make it up, but usually enough can wait to a break in the weather to make it all worthwhile. All that said, I always count on the balloons going up, the traffic moving smoothly, and having a wonderful time. Dress in layers! Don't know if that really answers question, but some food for thought.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
20,848 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: mass ascension

We drive down from Santa Fe for the weekend mass ascensions on the weekends. Usually take 1 hour, leave at about 5:50am and you will be there in plenty of time to see lots of balloons. Also watch the weather, often events are canceled due to wind, rain or ?

Traffic is not that bad in my opinion, even on Saturday mornings!

Enjoy your visit and if the weather is good head out every morning you can!

roswell ga
Level Contributor
76 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: mass ascension

thanks for the info. i was just wondering which route you take from santa fe?

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
20,848 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: mass ascension

We drive down I25, then on the weekends we have to take the Alameda exit and then work our way back north to the parking lots. If you are ok with maps, then look at getting off at Bernalillo then taking Highway 313 south to Alameda, then east to the park.

Enjoy your trip.

New Mexico
Level Contributor
385 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: mass ascension

In regards to traffic, either mid-week or weekend....I would say probably weekend traffic is a little heavier getting to the balloon park just simply because you have the tourist crowd as well a a significant local crowd. That said, during the week you will also have to contend with the "drive-time" traffic and rush hour. I think it's actually harder on those of us commuting that it is on those going to the balloon park though.

In regards to the time you will need from SF.....count on about an hour from SF and then spending some time lined up at pretty much any exit that will get you to the park. It really depends on how much you want to see, etc as to what time you leave SF. I would think that if you leave SF aroun 5:50 as suggested by another poster.....you will certainly see a lot of balloon, but I wouldn't anticipate being on the field much before 7:30AM. Myself....there's just something about getting there and being down on the field before dawn....getting a cup of coffee and a breakfast burrito, and watching the dawn patrol go up; but that's just me.

roswell ga
Level Contributor
76 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: mass ascension

thank you all for the great info. we just returned from the balloon fiesta and it was a blast. we got there around 6 and i will never forget the experience.

7. Re: mass ascension

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 April 2011, 06:19