We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Place to Propose in ABQ/SF?

Chicago, Illinois
3 posts
Save Topic
Place to Propose in ABQ/SF?

Hi guys,

After reading a lot of great posts to previous questions, I thought I would give this a shot.

My GF and I are coming in for the Festival (Oct 8-11), staying in ABQ but planning on spending at least a day in Santa Fe. I am planning on "popping the question" at some point in the trip, but after scouring the internets, I haven't really found any place that impressed me. She isn't very "traditional," in the sense that she won't want it in a big crowd, or in any cliche way.

I guess I am wondering if there is any chance of finding a secluded spot in the park to be alone, or any recommendations of romantic locations (maybe Sandia Peak?). I haven't researched Santa Fe a whole lot either. Any input y'all can give would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Albuquerque, New...
Destination Expert
for New Mexico, Albuquerque
Level Contributor
2,090 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Place to Propose in ABQ/SF?

Sandia Peak would be a good place, but during Balloon Fiesta, the Tram will be quite busy. However, if you did take the Tram to the top, you could find a spot if front of High Finance on the board walkway away from the crowds to propose. Try to do it just before sunset, enjoy the colors of the sunset, and then the spectacular view of the city after dark. Other than that, I am way past the age of proposing, so don't really know of any romantic places in Albuquerque itself. Have you thought about a morning balloon ride? They are expensive during the Fiesta, but it would be really different for you.

Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
2,169 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Place to Propose in ABQ/SF?

Old Town is on a whole a very romantic area for strolling. There are many hidden "nooks" (especially patios) among the old adobe shops and restaurants, former homes of Spanish and Mexican-era civic leaders. When all the lights come on at dusk, it is especially nice.

I don't know about your religions, but the historic old church on the Plaza would also be a romantic place for a proposal.

IMHO the most romantic restaurant in Albuquerque is the Antiquity, in SW Old Town. Its old adobe walls, dim lighting, and fine food make it a very special place often used for "special occasions." . For the best you expect to pay and their menu is moderate to rather expensive. Even on Old Town's plaza, you can find some private time, perhaps even in the small bandshell that occupies the center.

There have also been many couples who have become engaged at the Balloon Fiesta, and then returned to have their vows said with their friends and families, and then started their lives together with a balloon ride at dawn.

You might also take a drive up to Elena Gallegos Picnic Area (east from Tramway Blvd..just north of Academy Blvd.) From the park you have the majestic Sandias behind you, and in front, a sunset view of the Rio Grande River Valley, and Albuquerque below you. Quite a surrounding vista for that special moment, and a "preserved" place you could return to for years to come. Congratulations, and enjoy your experiences at and after the balloon fiesta.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
21,167 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Place to Propose in ABQ/SF?

In and around Santa Fe...I'd head up toward the Ski Basin on Hyde Park Road, early in the day. Take a hike at the Norski Trail, easy to find very close to the ski area. Lots of beautiful aspen groves! Check this link for more ideas. www.sdcmountainworks.com/hiking/trails.php

Albuquerque, New...
Destination Expert
for Albuquerque, New Mexico
Level Contributor
1,864 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Place to Propose in ABQ/SF?

I love this question, and I love all of these ideas. Every one. I especially think a proposal on a balloon ride would be spectacular. (There's a tradition of toasting your first ride with champagne, and in your case there'd be double reason. Bet you can arrange something.) In Santa Fe, I'm partial to Geronimo on Canyon Road for a romantic dinner. There's a small garden down Canyon, which I don't know enough about, but wonder.... Elena Gallegos and top of Sandia tram would be very nice, especially if you two like a little hiking in the mix. There's a rose garden at the Botanical Gardens, but this wouldn't be the season. I wonder about the Japanese Garden there. Kinda zen. And should be private. Just throwing it out. Santa Fe has many inner courtyards/patios near the plaza. I always thought the patio at La Casa Sena was especially nice/romantic. And it would be fun place to dine. The wait staff sings, and would be a nice touch if they sang (discretely) for you two to celebrate the occasion. . I was trying to think of a place where you could be serenaded by mariachis at some point. Finally, I thought about the Hyatt Tamaya. This is a beautiful, elegant resort west of Bernalillo, which is just north of Albuquerque. You don't have to stay there to enjoy its beautiful setting and views. Wonderful, friendly staff. Drive up to its courtyard entry and use free valet to set the right start. Make reservations at its excellent Corn Maiden and arrange a carriage ride from the restaurant into the bosque along the river. Call the restaurant ahead and ask about a carriage ride; they will set it all up for you and confirm that it will be available.

West Chicago...
Level Contributor
2,468 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Place to Propose in ABQ/SF?

Normally I'd say YES! to the Japanese Garden at the Botanic Garden. But when I was there couple weeks ago, there was a lot of work going on. I think that they're building a berm at the far end and doing significant landscaping on it to make clear separation from the Bosque. Going to be nice when it's done, but probably not so great in the near future...especially for a proposal.

Another option would be at sunset on the fifth floor Bell Tower Bar at La Fonda in Santa Fe.

Keith

Edited: 01 October 2010, 15:54
Albuquerque, New...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
1,864 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Place to Propose in ABQ/SF?

I wasn't sure about the Botanic Garden. I tried to find the garden I was thinking of along Canyon Road. It was a public garden, I recall, and had some historic significance (perhaps relating to Bandelier or Meem, I don't remember). Of course, there are probably also little gardens (even sculputure gardens) around the art galleries along Canyon Road. I was able to find a reference to a public garden at El Zaguan, a property owned by the Historic Santa Fe Foundation. It's a short distance down the road from Geronimo, but I'm not sure that's the one I was thinking of. Canyon Road art galleries, garden, and Geronimo would be alternative to Plaza and La Casa Sena courtyard, etc. Bell Tower is another nice idea; the La Fonda will always be there. Hard to beat Santa Fe for romantic. But also consider horse-drawn carriage ride at Hyatt Tamaya or the balloon flight. Perhaps you want something simpler. I was also going to add that there's a gazebo in the Old Town plaza square, next to the beautiful church mentioned. A pretty plaza. You might feel like you're in a tourist fishbowl, but usually the gazebo itself is quiet. Antiquity there. I'm still looking for mariachis.

Edited: 01 October 2010, 17:45
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
6,678 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Place to Propose in ABQ/SF?

In Santa Fe, yes, along the Ski Basin is good.

Also perhaps at (in) Santa Fe Cathedral or Loretto Church in downtown SF.

Also, a hidden gem is the Lamy Chapel (the original private chapel of Archbishop Lamy, covered by Willa Cather in her famous book, Death Comes for the Archbishop). It is located on a hill at Bishop's Lodge Resort just outside of Santa Fe and visible from main office. You could also have a meal just below at their restaurant. You might like this, as you can arrange a meal, or a drink in front of the fireplace, then "tour" the chapel (few few tourists stop in) and then "pop" the Q in that setting.

You might want to call the concierge there (a friend of mine) if you want anything arranged. It's a nice historic upscale place and I'm sure she would help.

Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
345 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Place to Propose in ABQ/SF?

I think I've been to that garden that Bleicherblog is referring to. I also think it was related to Meem as well, but I'm not sure.

It was halfway up Canyon Road, and it was filled with really whimsical things: giant windmills (had to be 200 of them in there) and shiny chrome chick sculptures (like baby chickens) that were fun to take pictures of yourself in. Some neat chairs made out of granite, and interesting sedimentary rocks that had been made into bubblers. All of these things were huge: the chicks and rock bubblers are 4 to 5 feet tall, and the windmills are ten feet over your head. I've got pics, feel free to pm me if you want to see. It was very unique and I'll never forget it. Not sure if it's romantic, but it's definitely fun!

Other romantic restaurants: Vernon's Hidden Valley Steak House and El Pinto. Got married at El Pinto: sprawling old adobe, beautiful patios under giant cottonwoods, right in the heart of the north valley. The restaurant is so big that there's always places where no one is around. Ask the staff, they'll help with that. In fact, they reserved an entire patio (the one we got married on) for us to celebrate our 10th anniversary, just the two of us. I personally thought that was very romantic! ;)

Now that I'm thinking about it, Los Poblanos b&b might be nice too. Beautiful grounds for strolling, lots of pathways with benches here and there. They also might have lavender fields still in bloom. Does anyone know if the corn maze is up yet? Could be fun to get lost in a giant puzzle to propose.

Whatever you do, buena suerte and felicidades!

Albuquerque, New...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
1,864 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Place to Propose in ABQ/SF?

Excellent, excellent. I guess I only viewed the garden from outside. I didn't catch all the whimsy. But Canyon Road would be memorable either way. Love the Bishops Lodge suggestion. I have some wedding connections there. Lovely spot, very good/romantic restaurant, small chapel would be nice. And close from Santa Fe plaza. I thought of Los Poblanos, too, but I don't know enough about it. Bet it would be good...and now thinking about Casa Rondena winery, also in north valley, another one. And I did think of El Pinto, too. Lovely patios, and possibly mariachis! Love the maza idea, too! It should be up by now, don't you think. Find under Anderson Fields?

Edited: 01 October 2010, 20:27
Chicago, Illinois
3 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Place to Propose in ABQ/SF?

Wow, thanks everyone for the suggestions. Looks like I have more research to do! My plan so far is:

Get in Friday, catch the Special Shapes/Fireworks.

Saturday, drive up the Turquoise Trail and eat lunch at Bobcat Bite (i'm a sucker for burgers), explore Santa Fe for a while, and have a nice dinner somewhere

Sunday, go to the Farewell Ascention, maybe find somewhere to hike for a bit afterwards, then head to Old Town to explore and get dinner.

Monday, fly out noonish

So, i'm thinking Sunday after having an awesome weekend, after dinner when we are exhausted, we can plop down in the plaza somewhere and I can do my thing lol. But a lot of good suggestions in Santa Fe, so I may have to rearrange some things. She isn't really expecting it (I don't think, at least), but we have been together for almost seven years, so i'm fairly certain she will say yes regardless :)