We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

should we stay in Santa fe?

Which Albuquerque hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
san francisco
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Topic
should we stay in Santa fe?

we will be visiting NM in January, Our plan is to visit Albuquerque, Santa Fe and Taos. Does it make sense to spend a couple nights in each place or stay in Santa Fe and do day trips?

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
20,777 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: should we stay in Santa fe?

I think you would enjoy staying in all 3 places. 2 nights in Abq, 3 nights in Santa Fe and 2 nights in Taos at a minimum.

Ohio
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
8,186 posts
235 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: should we stay in Santa fe?

It really depends on your travel style. We stayed 5 days in Santa Fe this month. Had already stayed in Taos and brought the High Road down to Santa Fe. Used Santa Fe as a base for Albuquerque and Bandelier. It's nice to have a home base. It really depends on how much driving you wish to do? and what you want to do in each area? We rented a casita within walking distance to the plaza, so we had a combination of drive days and walking days.

Normally on our vacations, we travel as Casa suggested. Couple of days in each place. Both ways were fun :)

Albuquerque, New...
Destination Expert
for Albuquerque, New Mexico
Level Contributor
1,855 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: should we stay in Santa fe?

Following CasaAzul's lead once again, and I completely agree. It seems to me that more and more people are including stays in Albuquerque, and that seems right to me as there's some really wonderful family things to do in ABQ at very modest costs. Are you flying in? Will you include skiing? What other interests do you all have? If you're flying in, ABQ is really the only choice and it's a great place to fly in and out and schedule time/overnights and other activities around your flights, at the start of your trip, at the end, or both. Your children, it appears from other posts, are older and therefore probably more sophisticated (not to mention your home port is San Francisco), so some of the usual family suggestions in ABQ might not apply and there may be more appreciation for the unique experiences in Santa Fe and Taos. As far as planning ski vacations, Taos and Santa Fe are safer bets than ABQ. In the end, I still like the idea of staying a few days in each place. More days in Santa Fe for discovery; more days in Taos for skiing.

Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
2,169 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: should we stay in Santa fe?

IMHO you would be wise to stay in all three communities, as they are so different, and offer their own unique places to visit. Do not forget to take in the High and Low Roads between Santa Fe and Taos. You would want to check the road conditions for the High Road: Chimayo, Trampas, Truchas, Penasco, etc. however in January.

Ditto, at least one way coming or going, the "Turquoise Trail," NM-14 between Santa Fe and Albuquerque. Madid's ecclectic arts and crafts shops are a fun stop.

West Chicago...
Level Contributor
2,468 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: should we stay in Santa fe?

All three! I took my first trip to New Mexico this past summer and had stays in all three places. I wouldn't trade the experience. Great introduction to northern New Mexico and each city has its own strengths as well as day trips that are appropriate for each place.

Keith

Taos, New Mexico
Level Contributor
644 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: should we stay in Santa fe?

The New Mexico Bed and Breakfast Association is in the process of developing specific recommendations for folks such as yourself who want to visit all 3 towns -- a sort of Rio Grande Trail.

We recommend that, based on the time of your flight's arrival into Albuquerque (before 4 PM), you consider going to Taos or Santa Fe first and that you spend the last part of your trip in Albuquerque. The reason for this: considerations of the driving back to the airport, dropping off the rental car, etc. You'll be much less rushed if you're already in Albuquerque and not having to consider road conditions, construction, rush hour, etc when trying to figure out when to leave, etc.

There's so much to see and do in each place you should be able to experience more than you imagined.

sw city
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: should we stay in Santa fe?

Well, depending on your tolerance for traffic, you COULD drive directly to Santa Fe and use it as a base for daytrips to Taos first, spending the last couple of nights in Albuquerque. Traffic in Santa Fe is actually worse than San Francisco. If your goal is to experience "Northern New Mexico" then we would suggest going straight to Taos (lots of choices in places to stay), exploring the surroundings for a few days. If you leave Taos in the morning, you'll have plenty of time to "experience" Santa Fe during that day, and then spend the last few days in Albuquerque. The weather COULD be a factor, too, so we would definitely recommend staying in ABQ at least the last night before you leave. Dress WARMLY, wherever you choose to go!

8. Re: should we stay in Santa fe?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 May 2011, 05:16