We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

albuquerque to durango

Which Albuquerque hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Horicon, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
140 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
albuquerque to durango

Want advice on best route for sightseeing for going from Albuquerque to Durango. We will be leaving Albuquerque in early afternoon. Should we plan to make it to Durango that day or is there a must see place to stop and stay. We are not in a hurry and have a few days to just check out the area. Please send suggestions.

Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
2,169 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: albuquerque to durango

You do not say "when" you are arriving. Winter travel between Albuquerque and Durango can be difficult if you happen to run into a Winter storm. We had a "beaut" last week with super low temperatures, and heavy snow. The most direct route is US550, and the drive would take about four hours in good weather, all on four-lane highway except the last 35 miles of so between Aztec, NM, and Durango, CO. You would be passing by Chaco Culture National Historic Park, with the ruins of 9 villages of the ancient Anasazis, the ancestors of New Mexico's Pueblo tribes. The road into the park from US550 is however unimproved, and can be very dangerous in times of rain or snow. Current conditions are a must if one plans to drive the 25 miles into the park from US550. If you skipped the park, you could see some other ruins at Aztec National Monument, in Aztec. If you are in need of making time...just check out Aztec Nat. Mon. (about 45 minutes).

If you have the time for a loop, you could also travel from Albuquerque to Santa Fe, then Espanola, Chama,(NM), Pagosa Springs (CO), and then Durango. This route would take an additional two hours perhaps, with more mountain scenery.

Once you arrive in Durango, do not miss the drive north to Silverton and Ouray, and Mesa Verde National Park near Cortez.

Horicon, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
140 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: albuquerque to durango

Going in mid June.

Albuquerque, New...
Destination Expert
for Albuquerque, New Mexico
Level Contributor
1,857 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: albuquerque to durango

Hi. You'll love Durango in mid June. One of my favorites. So much to do there and in environs. Mesa Verde, for example. Good rafting on Animas River in Durango. You could spend some great time up there. You could loop thru Santa Fe and Chama and Pagosa Springs. Santa Fe, only an hour away from ABQ, is worth a one or two night stay by itself. Chama has narrow gauge train, but so does Durango. I'm hearing more about Pagosa Springs that sounds interesting, but do not know much about it first hand. Ojo Caliente might be nice short detour on that loop route. Direct route from ABQ to Durango has a few detours worth visiting, Jemez and Chaco, for examples, but not sure about an overnight along the way on that route. I do ABQ to Durango as one day trip (without detours). I often try to hit El Bruno's in Cuba for lunch, but recently discovered Main Street Bistro in Aztec and the Aztec Ruins National Monument as very enjoyable stops (close to each other) to break up drive on my way to Duragno. Another consideration would be doing Santa Fe as a day trip (or an overnight) from ABQ (either by car or by Road Runner train) and then the direct drive to Durango.

Albuquerque, New...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
1,857 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: albuquerque to durango

Oops. The train is the Rail Runner.

Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
345 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: albuquerque to durango

I must throw in a second on the El Bruno's. (I like the way you think, Bleicher!) Delicious mexican food. Get there if you can, but when you go to Durango, do NOT miss Ken & Sue's. Amazing food, beautiful outdoor seating, elegant service. The total package!

Other than skiing, one of my favorite Durango memories was taking a flight in a glider. The Animas river valley is even more beautiful from the air. If memory serves, the gliding facility was on the road to the ski area, a few minutes out of town.

Durango is a great little town. On a recent visit, I was lucky enough to spend some time with a native Durango-ian, and she took us into the Strater hotel to show us some if its secrets. That was really fun! I highly recommend a tour of that hotel, with or without a guide.

We enjoy renting vacation homes in Durango, rather than hotel rooms. There's an abundance of them there, and we like the benefits of a full kitchen and an outdoor space to relax in. Patio furniture must have been invented specifically for a warm Durango afternoon. Ahhhhh . . .

I'm going to go off topic a bit, but I wanted to comment about this since Bleicher brought it up:

On Pagosa Springs vs. Ojo Caliente, the biggest difference for us was the sulphur smell we encountered in Pagosa. (There's a lot of natural sulphur in the water there, and it is very noticeable when you're soaking.) My husband couldn't tolerate it, so we couldn't really enjoy the hot springs, but in Ojo there was no odor, and we could rent a private tub to soak in, so we enjoyed it quite a bit more. One other big difference is that the springs are right in the middle of the town in Pagosa, but there is no town (comparatively) at Ojo Caliente. Just a little general store and a couple of restaurants. Very out of the way, peaceful and quiet. We liked staying at the Inn at Ojo better than directly at Ojo Caliente. Okay, I'll stop rambling now!

Have a great trip!

Albuquerque, New...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
1,857 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: albuquerque to durango

Hi. Just wanted to bump this as it looks like you have another thread with the same title and didn't want you to miss this one.

7. Re: albuquerque to durango

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 February 2012, 05:32