We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Albuquerque? or Santa Fe?

Philadelphia...
3 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Albuquerque? or Santa Fe?

Have never been to NM, but enjoy a 'Sedona like' feel. Not sure which location to go to first - Albuquerque or Santa Fe? Like things off the beaten path and exploring true historial landmarks/places. Any suggestions on where to start in NM?

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
22,187 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Albuquerque? or Santa Fe?

Head to Santa Fe a much smaller city, but nothing like Sedona. I do like the Old Town of Albuquerque, but most of the rest of the city is, well, just a city.

Check www.santafe.org for plenty of ideas. See the Plaza, Loretto Chapel, Cathedral, Canyon Road and the many museums we have.

New Mexico
Level Contributor
379 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Albuquerque? or Santa Fe?

Santa Fe is more geared to tourists and "atmosphere," which it sounds is what you are looking for. It is a lovely place, there is a lot to see in terms of history, and there is easy access to other landmarks in northern New Mexico such as Bandelier, Taos and Chimayo. However, with all due respect to CasaAzul's bias, Albuquerque is not "just a city," and has a great deal to offer. It is well worth spending some time in. It just all depends on how you want to allocate your time in New Mexico.

Albuquerque, New...
Destination Expert
for Albuquerque, New Mexico
Level Contributor
1,888 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Albuquerque? or Santa Fe?

A pretty broad question and may depend on how long your visit, how you are getting here, and when. In trying to picture Sedona in NM, I obviously think of the landscape and vistas and geography. Canon de San Diego in Jemez, the Gallup red rocks, Georgia O'Keeffe country around Abiquiu, Chaco, and many many more come to mind. Taos actually comes to my mind before Santa Fe. But you shouldn't miss Santa Fe and nearby places (Bandelier and Chimayo). As CC says, ABQ may have something, depending. Maybe you like the resorts? Golfing? Hiking? Mountain biking? Lots of possibilities in NM. Come back.

Philadelphia...
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Albuquerque? or Santa Fe?

Thank you! I appreciate everyone's feedback. It has certainly helped and added a few other locations to visit.

Golden, Canada
Destination Expert
for Regina
Level Contributor
5,362 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Albuquerque? or Santa Fe?

Well considering Sedona is a town featuring scenery and tourist pampering (and gouging) I don't believe there is a comparable place in NM.

Santa Fe or some of the other smaller towns as noted would be the better match, but the thing with the Santa Fe or Albuquerque debate is they are close enough together to see both.

Edited: 08 March 2012, 03:01
Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
2,169 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Albuquerque? or Santa Fe?

I would suggest you take in both Santa Fe and Albuquerque, and throw in Taos and Taos Pueblo too. The "Things to Do" links from each city's forum should provide you with options that would be of interest to you.

Be sure to take both the "High Road" and "Low Road" from Santa Fe to Taos. The High Road especially, through Chimayo and Penasco will take you back in time to an earlier, Hispanic, Northern New Mexico.

Taos is in some ways similar to Santa Fe back in the 1960's before it became "touristy."

If you are flying into Albuquerque, I would suggest you spend at least the day of arrival, and the next here. Old Town would be the place to begin, with its laid-back atmosphere, old plaza and church, and some nice restaurants to go along with the many diverse shops in the former Spanish and Mexican haciendas of the 18th and 19th Centuries.

Fortunately, Albuquerque, Santa Fe, and Taos are all within a hour, to an hour and a half drive between one another. Another special road to take would be NM-14, the Turquoise Highway. It serves as the more-scenic, and slower backroad between Albuquerque and Santa Fe east of the Sandia Mountains. The old mining town of Madrid (Mad-rid) has many eclectic little shops, and arts and crafts galleries.

From the scenic highway off NM-14 to the Sandia Crest, or from the world's longest tramway on the western slopes, enjoy views of up to 100 miles on a "usually" clear day.

Have fun researching your trip, and thank you for using T/A.

Las Cruces
Level Contributor
100 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Albuquerque? or Santa Fe?

If you want the Sedona experience, head north to Durango, CO, lol. Different scenery, but similar catering to the yuppie tourist. Santa Fe certainly would feel more similar to Sedona than Albuquerque. It has less scenery than Sedona in the immediate area, but probably more value for your money in terms of shopping and dining.

Level Contributor
1 post
45 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Albuquerque? or Santa Fe?

I would definetly choose Santa Fe over Albuquerque!

Aurora, Illinois
Destination Expert
for New Mexico, Santa Fe, Albuquerque
Level Contributor
2,668 posts
157 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Albuquerque? or Santa Fe?

I gotta agree with NM_Photojournalist - do 'em all! Santa Fe, Albuquerque and Taos all have their charms and appeal. Probably Santa Fe leads the list, but I've enjoyed when I've been able to spend time in each. A lot depends on your interests and your available time.

Keith

10. Re: Albuquerque? or Santa Fe?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2013, 14:41