We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best places to stay and eat!

Which Albuquerque hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Cornelius, Oregon
Level Contributor
3 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Best places to stay and eat!

My husband and I are planning a trip for the first weekend in August and I am trying to decide where to stay. I know we will have a rental car and can check out some of the sights, but it has been a few years since I was in the area visiting a friend (who has relocated) and I don't recall which areas were the best to stay in and eat. (Oh yes, it's ALL about the yummies!!)

Can someone suggest good New Mexican restaurants to add to our "DON'T MISS" list please as well as suggesting decent, reasonably priced lodging?

I'm trying to do my homework for booking flights and accomodations, but reviews, rates and pricing is sort of confusing online as many don't match up!!

Thank you!!

New Mexico
Level Contributor
385 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best places to stay and eat!

For accomodations, I would recommend something either down town or old town. The Hotel Albuquerque at Old Town is great and is reasonably priced. I often recommend this, not only because it is a nice hotel, but you're also about as centrally located as you can get in a city that is the text book definition of urban sprawl. From here, you will have easy access to, obviously, Old Town, Down Town, and Nob Hill; all of which provide a huge range of dining and entertainment possibilities.

As far as food goes, you can't really go wrong with any restaurant in Nob Hill....just take your pick depending on what kind of mood you're in. Across the street from the Albuquerque Hotel is St. Claires Bistro; it is excellent.

In RE to NM food, take your pick.....you'll have some kind of choice on just about every corner, and everyone has their favorites. My favorites are Garcia's (Centrall Downtown location)...it looks to be a bit of a hole in the wall, but is fabulously tasty. When I'm entertaining guest, I like Casa de Benevidez on 4th street (great patio and great food and nice atomosphere). I'm so-so on Sadies, which is a classic around here....but just seems too huge and I feel like I'm eating in a huge cafeteria....but they are my favorite salsa. I personally steer clear of places like El Pinto, which has a fabulous atmosphere, but the food IMHO is just so-so.

Albuquerque, New...
Destination Expert
for Albuquerque, New Mexico
Level Contributor
1,853 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best places to stay and eat!

Agree with above. For stay, Old Town is a good recommendation because there's something to see and do within walking distance. A bit touristy but still very nice. Good museums also there. For a fun splurge, just look at Hyatt Tamaya, which is actually outside ABQ. Agree with dining in Nob Hill area but many other good choices are spread about. Take a look at this list:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g28952-c175250/New-Me…

Not a definitive list but a good place to start. So many good New Mexican food places to consider. Duran's pharmacy near Old Town or Barela's for breakfast. Cecelia's. Have to agree about Sadie's. But I like to recommend El Pinto, which is in far north valley. Insist on a patio and stroll about while waiting for your table. A nice place for a Margarita (a good tequilla menu) and I myself have not been dissatisfied with the food, which is typical New Mexico--tortillas, pinto beans, red and green chile.

Oh, and always consider at least a day trip to Santa Fe, which has many wonderful places to eat. Quite a treat.

Edited: 18 April 2012, 15:07
New Mexico
Level Contributor
385 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best places to stay and eat!

Ahhh....see what I mean? Everyone is going to have different opinions on the NM food :) To be honest, I don't think you can go too wrong with any of the "main stay" NM restaurants. It's the little things I think as a local.....liking so and so's red chile better or green chile better, etc. Otherwise the food is pretty much prepared in the same manner.

I'm also a big fan of Cervantes....neighborhood is scetchy, but food is excellent.

Albuquerque
Level Contributor
69 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best places to stay and eat!

As far as restaurants, I like Paisanos (Eubank near Indian School), and although the food at El Pinto is so-so, it's got a great atmosphere (and good margaritas).

5. Re: Best places to stay and eat!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2013, 14:42