We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

looking for feedback on where to stay

atlanta
Level Contributor
231 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
looking for feedback on where to stay

Right now I am looking at Bottger; Downtown Historic B&B; Los Poblanos: Cinnamon Morning and Adobe and roses

All b&b's but not knowing if it is important to stay in Old Town or if another place would be better or the same.

It is for 2 nights -- May 28 and 29 -- with May 29 being our anniversary. Have thought about taking the tram to Sandia Peaks but not sure anything else we will do beyond that -- probably wander Old Town at some point.

We will be coming in on 40 from the Grand Canyon and leaving on 40 to Oklahoma City so if there is a better place regarding convenience -- ie staying at one of these places would add 30-45 minutes to the trip just getting to the interstate -- then I would want to know.

Thank you

New Mexico
Level Contributor
379 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: looking for feedback on where to stay

Staying in the Old Town area is a good idea. To your list of B and B's I would also add Casas de Suenos http://www.casasdesuenos.com/

Los Poblanos, while very beautiful, is not really in the Old Town area, and Downtown Historic is quite a distance from Old Town. Cinnamon Morning, like Los Poblanos, is in the North Valley, and not actually in Old Town. Adobe and Roses is the furthest out, just a bit north of Paseo del Norte. Ultimately, you'll need to decide what your priorities are, whether it's staying in Old Town itself, or staying in a lovely B and B that may be just a bit further off the beaten track. Of the places you've listed, based on location, the one I would be most likely to eliminate would be the Downtown Historic B&B, because it really is (surprise!) downtown. Of the ones that are actually in Old Town (Bottger and Casas de Suenos) I personally prefer the location and seclusion of Casas de Suenos, but that's a personal preference. All of the others are beautiful, you'd just have to drive a little further to visit Old Town.

Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
345 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: looking for feedback on where to stay

Personally, since it's an anniversary, I'd stay at Los Poblanos. It's a very romantic property, with lots of well-manicured mature landscaping, walking paths, sitting areas, and views of the mountains. Since you have a car, driving to Old Town or the Tram will be easy.

If you stay there, you might enjoy the nearby winery, Casa Rondena, and/or dinner at El Pinto, one of abq's better mexican food restaurants. The restaurant is heavy on ambiance, with lots of patios, flowers, and fountains all set in a sprawling old adobe house. Perfect for a celebration. I know a couple people who've successfully celebrated anniversaries there. ;-)

(Casa Rondena is about a mile and a half from Los Poblanos; El Pinto is about six miles away.)

Things to do: A friend of mine recently enjoyed the Goya exhibit at Albuquerque Museum. It's also a great place to learn about Albuquerque history, and there's a couple of other museums very nearby. The tram is always great; I never tire of taking that ride. Just did it again last year. You can also take the drive up to the crest instead of the tram. You can see the other side of the mountain that way. Old town and Nob Hill offer great shopping opportunities. There's a rooftop bar at Hotel Parq Central that has great views, especially after dark. Just a few ideas there.

Well, have a great trip, and Happy Anniversary!

Albuquerque, New...
Destination Expert
for Albuquerque, New Mexico
Level Contributor
1,873 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: looking for feedback on where to stay

I've heard good things about these B&B's but I'd like to try Los Poblanos in north valley for a stay. (Will the lavender be in full bloom?) Take Rio Grande Blvd. exit off I-40, (just before river; same exit going the other way is Old Town), go north and over Montano and it'll be on your left. Not much of a detour at all. Casa Rondena winery is very good recommendation. Nearby, charming setting. I recommend El PInto a lot, but not sure I'd say romantic--more festive and charming--but the description is right and might be something you can incorporate with your drive to Sandia Tram. A half-day trip to Santa Fe on the Railrunner might be easy and romantic, too.

Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
345 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: looking for feedback on where to stay

Los Poblanos is indeed unique. It's one of Albuquerque's historical treasures, and was designed by a famous architect. I don't think the lavender is blooming yet. Their harvest festival is in July, so they're probably past planting, but pre-blooming.

The kind people at El Pinto once allowed my DH and I to eat our anniversary meal in complete privacy on the patio where we were married, surrounded by roses and candles. They even found napkins that matched our wedding "colors" and let us stay as long as we wanted. I am telling you, it was very romantic. :) On the other hand, I also once celebrated a rather noisy birthday there wearing a sombrero and having at least one too many margaritas. So, you can sort of create your own experience. LOL!

5. Re: looking for feedback on where to stay

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 June 2013, 00:16