We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best New Mesxico towns for me

Which Albuquerque hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
American Canyon...
2 posts
Save Topic
Best New Mesxico towns for me

Just got divorced. My family consists of a dog and a parrot. I like to have people nearby, but not live in the bustling city. I hate driving, and would like to do like Ralph Nader, and ride into town on a a bike, to work. I like art, and spirituality/philosophy, What are decent towns for me, in New Mexico? Thank you for your help.

USA
Level Contributor
9,465 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best New Mesxico towns for me

http://www.city-data.com/forum/new-mexico/

is recommended for relocation information. Lots of data on various towns on the city/data homepage for NM towns & lots of opinions on the forums.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
20,849 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best New Mesxico towns for me

I would come visit New Mexico before relocating here. If you do not have a job, they are not that easy to find in Santa Fe or Taos. Come visit for a few weeks and travel the state. www.newmexico.org www.itsatrip.org and www.santafe.org will give you a feel for what is around to visit. If you want more info send me a private message here on TA and I can give you more ideas.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Level Contributor
6,653 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best New Mesxico towns for me

Santa Fe, is bike friendly(except some days, the 3 months of winter). Most all other "requirements" are abundant...As above, bring your job with you...carracar

Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
2,169 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best New Mesxico towns for me

Since you are looking for "living" information, rather than "vacation" suggestions, I would strongly recommend you first go to:

www.city-data.com

Here you can not only garner information on each city, you can compare the new city with the one you are living in now! After doing this research, then come to New Mexico for a visit, or probably...visits.

New Mexico is the country's fifth largest state in size, so various areas are quite different in landscapes. Northern New Mexico, roughly north of I-40, has the most mountains, and is less hot than the southern portion which is more true desert. Northern New Mexico is still considered "High Desert," but has more mesas, and grasslands.

Good hunting!

Silver City, New...
Destination Expert
for Silver City, New Mexico
Level Contributor
1,233 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best New Mesxico towns for me

In addition to the City-Data website mentioned above you may want to try Find Your Spot at http://www.findyourspot.com . There's a quiz on the site that asks you various questions and gives you a list of up to 24 towns that might suit you.

The downsides to Santa Fe are:

1. A high cost of living, especially by New Mexico standards.

2. Each weekday, 25,000 commuters drive into town, primarily because they can't afford to live there. Since the population of Santa Fe is about 68,000, that daily influx has an effect on the quality of life-- it *has* to.

BTW: I myself am partial to Silver City... but you will definitely need to visit here, maybe even several times, to determine if it's right for you.

New Mexico
Level Contributor
385 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best New Mesxico towns for me

I'm with others here...best bet is to spend some time here before you actually relocate. Frankly, NM isn't for everyone and I've met my fair share of folks who have had difficulty adjusting to life in the "wild west."

There are basically 3 metropolitan areas in the state; Albuquerque (to include Rio Rancho), Santa Fe, and Las Cruces. The Albuquerque metro area is by far and away the largest and will provide the most job opportunities. Otherwise, the state is dotted with small rural communities, towns, and villages.

As a previous poster noted, Santa Fe has a higher cost of living relative to the rest of the state and relative to wages. Yes, a lot of people commute to Santa Fe for work; they can't afford to live there, so they commute primarily from the Albuquerque metro area.

Taos may be right up your alley given your comments. That said, keep in mind that most job opportunities are going to be in the tourism sector and don't pay overwhelmingly well. Taos also has a very high cost of living to wage ratio.

7. Re: Best New Mesxico towns for me

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 September 2013, 10:15