We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Can I forgo the rental car?

Which Albuquerque hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Keasbey, New Jersey
Level Contributor
1,097 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
Can I forgo the rental car?

Dad and I are coming to Albuquerque oct 13-17. We're staying at the homewood suites in journal center. I read that the bus system is great and cheap. We want to take a day trip to Santa Fe and looks the rail runner takes care of that. Is it going to be a nuisance from my hotel of choice?

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
20,848 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Can I forgo the rental car?

The bus system is adequate but your hotel location will require long bus rides to get to the main tourist areas. From your hotel to Old Town Abq with museums, historic buildings etc will take over an hour by bus and about 15 min or less driving.

To get to the Railrunner train station you will have to either walk for an hour to Journal Center station, ride the bus for an hour to the downtown Railrunner station or drive 10 minutes to the Journal Center station.

There are only a few restaurants within walking distance

If you want to use public transportation I would look for a hotel in the Old Town area.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Level Contributor
6,655 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Can I forgo the rental car?

As weekend Railrunner service is limited... Plan a weekday or overnight in Santa Fe... carracar

sterling heights, MI
Level Contributor
23 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Can I forgo the rental car?

Unless you are used to long bus rides and willing to wait and sit for long periods of pretty much wasted time, I would suggest renting a car. Your location is way northwest of the Road Runner for example. It is not close to the Central or Nob Hill areas or even Old Town. Generally you can get just about anywhere by car in about 15 or 20 minutes as opposed to long public transport rides.

sterling heights, MI
Level Contributor
23 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Can I forgo the rental car?

Slight correction. There is a Road Runner station at Journal Center. I was speaking of the main downtown train station which is architecturally interesting to see.

Keasbey, New Jersey
Level Contributor
1,097 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Can I forgo the rental car?

hi thanks! it looks like we're going to probably go ahead and rent a car. i dont want to spend so much time on public transport. alternately, i will also look to see if i can stay closer to old town area.

thank you all for your feedback.

Bayonne, New Jersey
Level Contributor
461 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Can I forgo the rental car?

Sorry, you would need a car. The bus system is not the best system for out of towners (in my opinion). It's more for local people to get around. However, the railrunner is good but with their limited schedule its more of a obstacle then a advance sometimes. However, if you time the trip right then you can take the train to Santa Fe and then take the bus around Santa Fe. But time is out to the tea so you can catch the train back to ABQ. However, if you get a rent a car its only a 40 min drive to Santa Fe.

7. Re: Can I forgo the rental car?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 July 2014, 07:17