We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need ideas for trip w/13 and 9 yr olds, 3 days in Albu area

Which Albuquerque hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Austin, TX
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Need ideas for trip w/13 and 9 yr olds, 3 days in Albu area

Our family is heading to NM the last week in Sept. We are from TX, driving to Carlsbad first, then heading up through Roswell (we will stop briefly and geek out). Our first full day in Albu we will do the Sandia tram, Old Town and the Natural Sci & History Museum (Titanic exhibit). We live in Austin and are close to big cities, so I don't think we need the zoo/botanical garden/aquarium experience.

We have 2 more days in the area whille we are based out of Albu. I was thinking Santa Fe, of course, but I can't really find much that's very fun for kids. I thought of maybe taking Rt 14 (Turquoise Trail?) there and stopping where we want to. Then once in SF we will visit the Plaza and the must-see buildings there. Is there anything else close enough for the afternoon? Maybe a question for the SF forum.

On the other day in the area I was thinking of heading North to Rt 4 and going over to Bandelier. Does anyone know if you can get to Tent Rocks from there? I can't tell on my map. I think the scenic drive, picnic somewhere, stop in Los Alamos maybe. Would we have time to go to something else on that route? Should I skip Tent Rocks and try for Santa Clara Pueblo?

I guess it's safe to say I am having a tough time getting a handle on what to do and what is in proximity to what other stuff. We don't want fine dining, galleries, or shopping. We like Old Town type areas though. At least for a little while.

Can you think of something else we should do? I mentioned Bandelier, Santa Clara, Tent Rocks, etc...we love stuff like that. Petroglyphs and ancient sites, but not very strenuous hiking.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
20,698 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need ideas for trip w/13 and 9 yr olds, 3 days in Albu area

In Albuquerque visit Old Town area, maybe the Rattlesnake Museum!!! Also Petroglyph Nat Monument, Coronado State Mon (north in Bernalillo). Turquoise Trail is fun also drive up to the top of Sandias stopping to see Tinkertown. Lunch in Madrid and stop in Cerrillos at the trading post/petting zoo.

A day in Santa Fe would probably be great. Drive up to the ski basin and Hyde Memorial State Park to see the aspens. Also the NM History Museum/Palace of the Governors is great with kids.

I would go to Tent Rocks and Bandelier (and there is no road between them other than going through Santa Fe and Los Alamos). Santa Clara probably won't be that exciting for kids.

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
68 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Need ideas for trip w/13 and 9 yr olds, 3 days in Albu area

routesrentals.com I was considering renting or taking a tour with this company.

Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
803 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need ideas for trip w/13 and 9 yr olds, 3 days in Albu area

Do not dismiss the zoo! It is a real gem and is small enough that you can do it in a few hours in the morning and head on to other things.

Are the kids girls or boys?

Folk Art Museum would interest girls, Rio Grande Nature Preserve would work for both girls and boys.http://www.rgnc.org/

Explora would be great for them too: http://www.explora.us/en/

Tent Rocks is unlike anything else. It has 2 different trails, one harder than other. Google pictures to get a look see. Go before it gets hot, bring LOTS of water. Can only get to Tent Rocks via I - 25.

Old Town is mostly shopping. After a look see at the buildings and the plaza, it's shop.

Don't know the bike rental/tour place, sorry.

4. Re: Need ideas for trip w/13 and 9 yr olds, 3 days in Albu area

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 September 2014, 05:17