We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One night classic 66

Redditch Worcs
Level Contributor
82 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
One night classic 66

Hi All

Have posted a few things about our road trip coming up next June, am just deciding where to stay in Albuquerque so thought I would get a final yay or nay on the following!

Hotel Blue - cheap/breakfast/on central and walkable to bars on central (pool too)

or

Econolodge old town - cheap/breakfast near old town.

We are literally arive into Albuquerque at around 5pm after doing the Tramway and we will be leaving at around 1pm the next day - think we would like to get in/shower/drink in some old style bars (no clubs) with live music if there are any - have a late night and get up late the next morning with a quick trolley tour to make sure we see al the old town etc.

Would anybody like to give me a pointer or two and what your personal faves are

most thankful

Ali

Edison, New Jersey
Level Contributor
242 posts
284 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: One night classic 66

Old Town and the Trolley Tour are a must.

I don't care for Trams (they kind of scare me, of course I do fly cross country to get to ABQ, go figure), but I do love driving up to the top of the Sandia Mountain, great views.

Redditch Worcs
Level Contributor
82 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: One night classic 66

Thank you! Maybe you could help with this question - we were going to drive to Sandip peak on our way to abq, them get the arial tram, is it a return journey so we can get back to our car!! Silly question I know but website bit vague! Thanks

Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
803 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: One night classic 66

I don't follow. Are you going to drive to the peak and then take the tram DOWN? Most people take the tram Up to the top to see the view; if you are driving to the peak, you will already be AT the top to see the view.

To answer your question, the tram runs both ways, so you will be able to get back to your car.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Level Contributor
7,045 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: One night classic 66

The reason for the Santa Fe drive up the 14 & diverting up to the summit "antenna farm" is the 200 mile view for the price of a couple gallons of fuel... BUT, only in good weather so something can be seen ! As you probably will driving Albuquerque-Santa Fe in the AM do the drive on the way out of town ... as PM clouds can obscure the views. The Monterey Smoke free Motel is on the Old rt 66.(Central Ave.) near Old Town and is well thought of by former guest reviewers ... The Econolodge ... NOT ... carracar

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
21,282 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: One night classic 66

With such a short amount of time, I'd stay close to Old Town. As carracar recommended, Monterey Smoke Free Motel is a good place (unless of course you are a smoker).

In Old Town check out Church Street Cafe (not a bar but there is a patio and decent food and drinks). Further east on Central is the UNM/Nob Hill area with a number of bars etc. Kelly's Brew Pub, O'Niells and more. I have never cared much for the Downtown area in the evening/night. Once the business people are gone and the bars/clubs open, it gets a bit dicey.

Redditch Worcs
Level Contributor
82 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: One night classic 66

Thanks yes, we wanted the view so are driving to the top and then we will decide whether to take the tram for the experience. (If we are brave enough!)

Thanks

Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
803 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: One night classic 66

I wouldn't bother taking the trip down - it's is a bit pricey and really done to get to the top for the views. Better to spend the money on other things. $40 would buy you a nicer place to stay or meal or drinks or...

Peachtree City...
Level Contributor
1,091 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: One night classic 66

The parking lot at the top of Sandia and the tram are not located in the same area - they're separated by over a mile, and it's a hiking trail that separates them. And if there's clear signage identifying how to get from one to the other, I didn't quite see it. But I've only been once.

I am a crazy man, so take this as you will, but I did both on the same day. I drove up mid-afternoon as I was on 14 coming from Santa Fe. I hung around for about an hour hiking and such, and then descended. I then headed into Alvuquerque for a bit, and then drove to the tram about 90 minutes before sunset, taking the tram back down as all the lights in the city were coming on. I personally loved doing both as they gave me two different perspectives, and both journeys (car and tram) were scenic in and of themselves.

Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
803 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: One night classic 66

I did not mean to imply that the parking lot is where the tram station is located. The views from the parking lot are pretty spectacular and there is a small shop and place to get snacks there as well. There is usually a ranger there as well.

Redditch Worcs
Level Contributor
82 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: One night classic 66

Thanks all some very helpful info. Can I just ask one more question, we in the UK are not always sure where downtown is!? So econolodge is out, non smokers hotel not so good fir us (naughty I know), so is hotel blue considered downtown?! As we only have one night we want to be able to pack in plenty and we enjoy walking around towns. Thanks all

Ali