We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is It Safe in Albuquerque

Knoxville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
16 posts
168 reviews
Save Topic
Is It Safe in Albuquerque

We visited Albuquerque (and Santa Fe and Taos) back in 2010 and are thinking of coming back this summer. But recently I read an article about a group of nuns who moved here to TN because their area of NM (somewhere around Alb.) was getting very unsafe. Granted we spent most of our time in Bernalillo, Rio Rancho, Sandia, Old Town and the North part of Alb. but we never felt unsafe... Surely it hasn't changed that much has it??

I am hoping that its like any city, where there are certain places you just stay away from, because I LOVED the area and would not hesitate to come back. Any thoughts? Thanks!

Silver City, New...
Destination Expert
for Silver City, New Mexico
Level Contributor
1,244 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is It Safe in Albuquerque

The nuns you were referring to were originally located in Jemez Springs, which is nearly 60 miles from Albuquerque. It would be something like asking if Knoxville was safe because nuns moved out of Corbin-- the safety of Albuquerque, or of Knoxville, is unlikely to be affected by events so far away.

Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
1,100 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is It Safe in Albuquerque

Albuquerque is just the same as it was in 2010.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
21,166 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is It Safe in Albuquerque

Safe and not safe, just depends on where you are and what you are doing. We visit monthly in mostly tourist and locals shopping areas, never had any issues or safety concerns. Our kid is at UNM, hasn't had any problems in that area, though he is 6'4" with martial arts training, lol.

chicago,IL
Level Contributor
210 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is It Safe in Albuquerque

Your kid would even be safe in Chicago! LOL

Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
2 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is It Safe in Albuquerque

I've lived in Albuquerque for 25 years now, came from Kansas City, MO. I feel safe in most of Albuquerque but will admit like most of us, if you're unfamiliar, you're uncomfortable. I go out by myself all the time all over the city but mostly stick to the Northeast Heights( a big area) because I'm familiar with it. My advice to anyone is Google the Albuquerque Chamber of Commerce, or Albuquerque Vacation or Visitors Guides. They'll send free maps and info. Then check out the things that appealed to you and your family from this info on TripAdvisor, Read what other people have submitted, read a lot of them to get a good overall outlook. Everyone has opinions and experiences, see which out weighs the other, the good or the bad then make the decision if you feel its safe for you. I recently did this before we went to Philadelphia, it helped so much.

Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
181 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is It Safe in Albuquerque

My Mother is a Realtor here so she stays up on safety info, schools, etc.... its really no different than in 2010.

There are areas to stay away from as in any city. I live in one of the most unsafe areas.... and in actuality most of the problems come from teenagers with too much time to waste and no supervision.

I'm from Albuquerque so not much bothers me here, however even I stay off of Central Ave from Washington East to the Canyon.

Right downtown is fine, Nob Hill, etc.

That's about it, which I think is pretty good for a city to have one small area of "iffy".

We've traveled a lot the past few years for medical reasons around the country, and have found that in general if we are on the out lying areas of a city we feel safer. Example in New Orleans we stay near Metairie instead of near the French Quarter.

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
252 posts
252 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is It Safe in Albuquerque

We just visited for the first time. Stayed downtown and walked to the university one day, then to the BioPark, Old Town, and then Zoo & back the next. (yes, lots of walking)!

We never felt "unsafe". I will say some kids were smoking weed as we walked out of the zoo along the main road, but other than that we saw nothing unusual. The downtown area at night probably isnt the safest...lots of cops and homeless folks around from what I saw. Like any big city, use caution and good judgement.

We had a fantastic time - great city....here is what I wrote about the visit: visitflyovercountry.com/2014/01/albuquerque-…

Missouri
Level Contributor
1,045 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is It Safe in Albuquerque

So what is the problem with Jemez Springs? We were thinking of staying overnite there.

Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
1,100 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is It Safe in Albuquerque

No problem in Jemez Springs. It is a nice place.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
6,678 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is It Safe in Albuquerque

Jemez Springs is a nice funky hot springs town along the Jemez River. Scenic,and fairly quiet (sometimes motorcycle groups meet up there, as they do many places in NM, but they don't bother anyone.) Stop at the Jemez Springs Bath House for an old-fashioned soak.