We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Albuquerque Balloon Fiesta

Downers Grove...
Level Contributor
217 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
Albuquerque Balloon Fiesta

We are thinking of taking our family to the balloon fiesta; in October, 2014 our family will consist of 2 parents, an almost 5 year old and an 18 month old. Any advice on the best approach to the fiesta with 2 little kids? I understand that for the morning ascension, it is vital to get up very early. What about recommendations on hotels? Do any of the hotels have a room and living area and might be within walking distance? Or is better to drive and deal with the traffic? I really think our 5 year old would like to see the balloons take off, so we’re trying to plan in advance how to handle this event. Any suggestions anyone can offer would be great! Is one weekend better than another?

Albuquerque, New...
Destination Expert
for New Mexico, Albuquerque
Level Contributor
2,223 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Albuquerque Balloon Fiesta

First, you need to book as soon as you can make your plans. Some of the hotels are getting booked up already.

There would really be nothing within walking distance of the park. There are some hotels within one to two miles, but that early in the morning, I don't think you want to walk with the little ones.

I think your best bet is to book in the Uptown area, near I-40 and Louisiana Blvd. There are several big name hotels, some extended stay that might have the type of accommodations you need. Another location is near the intersection of I-40 and I-25, Several good places there (MCM Elegante, La Quinta and Clubhouse Inn). the LaQuinta and Clubhouse Inn have 2 room suites available; don't know about MCM.

Staying at either Uptown or the Midtowwn locations, can get you to the Coronado Mall, where shuttle busses depart almost continuously from 4:30 a.m. on. The fee for the bus includes entrance to the park and the roundtrip.

Your oldest will love the balloons. You can take your 5 year old right on to the field amongst the balloons.

I really think these suggestions would be best for you and your family.

Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
1,152 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Albuquerque Balloon Fiesta

There are four hotels at the intersection of I25 and Alameda. You could walk from there to the fiesta, but it might be a bit far for a 5 year old, probably a bit over 1 mile. Nearest hotel is a Holiday Inn Express. There is also a Comfort Inn, Motel 6, and America's Best Value Inn. You would want to call them now for reservations--if it is not already too late. Your 5 year old would probably enjoy the special shape balloons the best and these fly mainly on Thursday and Friday morning.

OK
Level Contributor
219 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Albuquerque Balloon Fiesta

There is a Homewood Suites not far from the Balloon Park that might have suite type accomodations - however, not within walking distance. I agree that walking to the Fiesta with little ones is probably not going to work very well. If you are going to go early for the morning launch, it may well be dark or semi-dark with a good deal of traffic.

We took our both of our children when they were very small to the Fiesta. We carried the smallest in a baby backpack. You could probably get around the perimeter of the launch field with a stroller fairly well (it will be very crowded) but I would think strollers might be difficult on the launch field. Too many crown lines and folks and baskets, etc. Although, someone who has tried that with a stroller might give different advice.

We have always driven to the launch field so I don't have any opinions on the shuttle service. We do go very early and the traffic is not terrible then.

As mentioned above, make hotel reservations as soon as you can. It is not too early. I have already made mine for this year.

4. Re: Albuquerque Balloon Fiesta

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 March 2015, 05:15