We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Native Indian Tribes And Worship

London, England...
Level Contributor
13 posts
94 reviews
Save Topic
Native Indian Tribes And Worship

Are there places or events where non tribe members can worship with the native Indian tribes in Albuquerque and New Mexico?I am not talking about gawking at Indians like tourists I mean genuine religious worship.

A family friend attends on the east coast of america in Maryland events called Pow Wows and these are ceremonies of genuine worship. Are there similar events in this region?

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Level Contributor
6,873 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Native Indian Tribes And Worship

Announced feast days and ceremonial dance days are, a form of worship... Visitors are often invited to observe the communal joy... Personal practice is, and should, remain private ... Some so called "shamans" might be willing to "share" ... for a fee ... carracar

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
21,216 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Native Indian Tribes And Worship

The Gallup Inter-Tribal Ceremonial is August 6-10 with dances, parades, food and fun. Not really a religious but a social event.

Fruita, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Fruita, Grand Junction
Level Contributor
6,557 posts
231 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Native Indian Tribes And Worship

https://www.newmexico.org/feast-days/ is a good website to start with. Another important read is the etiquette info at www.indianpueblo.org/19pueblos/etiquette.html

Albuquerque, New...
Destination Expert
for Albuquerque, New Mexico
Level Contributor
1,867 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Native Indian Tribes And Worship

The church at Isleta Pueblo has Sunday masses. Check calendars for several pueblo feast days and pow wows. I would not say these include "worship", but are ceremonial, social, cultural, and spiritual. For dancing and sometimes drumming and singing, visitors can get a taste at the Indian Pueblo Cultural Center (again, check calendar) and even the State Fair.

Albuquerque, New...
Destination Expert
for Albuquerque, New Mexico
Level Contributor
1,867 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Native Indian Tribes And Worship

I have only been to the little church in the center of Isleta Puebo. I have seen various other churches in Indian Country.

One thing I don't know, however, is whether a mass or other religious services are part of the feast days.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
6,678 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Native Indian Tribes And Worship

I think you are talking about various things here.

There is Sunday mass in Church, usually a Catholic church on a reservation and fairly standard practice.

Then, the powwows are not really religious, they are like celebrations, social dances, even competitions. There is often a dance or two where the audience is invited to join it. They are usually open to the public, but generally attended by Native Americans. They are not "worship" however,

Then there are Feast Days, usually in honor of a Christian Holiday (Christmas, New Years) or to celebrate the feast day of a particular Catholic saint which is the patron of the pueblo. These are the most religious, and often combine a mass with tribal dancing (often "sacred") in the pueblo plaza. This is probably what you want to see but it is strictly for tribal members who dance specific, often costumed dance. These are very moving ceremonies. At some dances, visitors are invited to join in in some food afterwards.

As others have said, your best source of information:

http://www.indianpueblo.org

You could call them for info.

7. Re: Native Indian Tribes And Worship

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 May 2015, 07:17
Get answers to your questions about Albuquerque
Recent Conversations