We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flight arrives too late for Balloon Fiesta?

Los Angeles, CA
Level Contributor
133 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Flight arrives too late for Balloon Fiesta?

Hello everyone,

I am planning a trip to ABQ from Oct 10-13, however my flight lands on Oct 10 at 4:35pm. I will have only carryon luggage and will walk quickly to the car rental place (where I can bypass the line only because I have signed up for their express membership). HaHa! Trying my best to make this work :)

That evening is the Special Shapes GlowDeo at 5:45 p.m. Based on what I have read about parking, crowds, and traffic, I'm thinking that I definitely won't make it in time for the GlowDeo if I self park. Do you think I could still make it if I take a Park and Ride Shuttle?

The website says that the last Park and Ride shuttle leaves at 6:30p.m. What Park and Ride location would you recommend if we are coming straight from the airport? If we can get one of the last shuttles, maybe we can still make it? Based on what I have read, the Coronado Mall Park and Ride is a very popular location. So, I was thinking perhaps the Unser Crossing location might be less crowded and increase our chances of getting onto a shuttle? I see from Google maps that I can leave the airport and take Bridge Boulevard to cut over to Unser Crossing. What do you guys think?

If this sounds impossible, is there an elevated location outside the park where we might be able to see some of the GlowDeo? I'm just hoping to see some of the special shapes balloons, even if from afar.

We are planning on being up early the following morning (the 11th of Oct) for the morning ascension. If we miss the special shapes GlowDeo on the 10th, we will see the regular Night Magic Glow on the 11th.

Thank you in advance for any tips or help!

Ashley

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
21,102 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Flight arrives too late for Balloon Fiesta?

Abq airport is very small, all of the car rental places are a shuttle ride so probably you will be out of rental car by 5:15-5:30. Plenty of time to drive up to the Balloon Fiesta Park, park the car and see the balloons. The glow lasts quite awhile with fireworks afterwards at 8pm. Can be cancelled if weather is bad, so if weather is good I'd try to go, who knows if the next day's event will be held.

Los Angeles, CA
Level Contributor
133 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Flight arrives too late for Balloon Fiesta?

Thanks so much for your help!

Here's to hoping the flight is on time! I can't wait!

Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
18 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Flight arrives too late for Balloon Fiesta?

I second renting a car and parking yourself. Traffic can be tricky, but it is well directed. The night glows will last a while and are not to be missed. Even if you do not arrive right as it starts, you will still see plenty of glow action along with the fireworks.

Los Angeles, CA
Level Contributor
133 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Flight arrives too late for Balloon Fiesta?

Thanks for your response! I will plan on picking up the car and driving straight to the festival!

Los Angeles, CA
Level Contributor
133 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Flight arrives too late for Balloon Fiesta?

Hello everyone,

My plans have slightly changed, so I just wanted to see if your recommendations would change. I was able to get a reservation at the Sheraton Uptown, which is walking distance to the Coronado Mall park and ride. Given this hotel location, should I head straight from the airport to the hotel and hustle to the park and ride, or do you guys still recommend driving and parking for Friday night?

Thanks for your help!

Ashley

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
21,102 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Flight arrives too late for Balloon Fiesta?

I would see how your timing is going. Last Park n Ride leaves by 6:30pm. If it looks like you can't make that then just drive up. Also call the hotel if you don't check in and let them know you will be arriving after the glo!

7. Re: Flight arrives too late for Balloon Fiesta?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 September 2015, 05:16