We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

balloon fiesta 2007?

boston ma
Level Contributor
107 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
balloon fiesta 2007?

Hi

We will be visting NM in 2007 like to plan it around the balloon fiesta Does anyone know when it will be or where can I fine that information. Thanks for you help

Dolly

Royal Palm Beach
Level Contributor
80 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: balloon fiesta 2007?

The balloon fiesta is always the first full week of October. I believe the dates for 2007 will be the 5th-14th. Check out www.balloonfiesta.com.

Level Contributor
669 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: balloon fiesta 2007?

It starts the first weekend in Oct and ends a week later on a Sunday. The link above is where to get the best info. Do be sure to plan ahead...the city gets busy.

Spring Lake, NC
1 post
Save Reply
3. Re: balloon fiesta 2007?

Planning on visiting NM and seeing the Balloon Fiesta 2007. Only have 7 days to be there and since the event is nine days long could someone tell me if I would want to be on the front end or the back end of this event. Wish we could stay the whole nine days.

Thanks for your help.

Bill

Royal Palm Beach
Level Contributor
80 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: balloon fiesta 2007?

Bill,

As an Albuquerque born and raised girl, I would say it doesn't matter too much if you are there for the first weekend or the last. I would look at the schedules and see what you find appealing. The special shapes rodeo is always fun and interesting as is the balloon glow. The mass ascensions occur on each Saturday and Sunday morning of the festival. But, due to weather, sometimes those can be canceled. That is something you will never be able to plan for far enough ahead of time to avoid. When it's windy, raining, or the clouds are thick and low, they will either postpone or cancel an event. So, I would go when it's most convenient for you and hope for the best.

Level Contributor
669 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: balloon fiesta 2007?

The first mass ascension is the first Sat in Oct...also we have a great Greek Festival at that time. The last mass ascension and event is the 2nd week in Oct on a Sunday in the am....if you want a true taste of balloon fiesta,,,,,you should sign up for chase crew!.

York, PA
Level Contributor
3 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: balloon fiesta 2007?

I would recommend planning for the first weekend. That way if the weather does not cooperate the first weekend, you could catch some beautiful flying days the rest of the week. In 2007 it looks like there are mass ascensions scheduled Saturday, Sunday and Wednesday mornings, with special shape rodeos scheduled Thursday and Friday mornings. Mass ascensions are what you want to see -- 2 waves of a total of over 400 balloons rise into the morning sky. If you're lucky and the wind is right, they fly right over you.

I attended the 2005 ABF with my 75-year-old mom and it was the best trip of our lives. What a fantastic event. The weather was perfect and the whole group of balloons took off during the Saturday mass ascension and flew up high and right over us in a perfect "box" formation. Become a Gondola Club member!!! What a great value -- incredible buffet breakfast or dinner, best seats (and bathrooms) at the event, closest possible parking, friendly volunteers, great free souvenirs -- check it out! As a whim I did it the first year because Albuquerque is high desert and my mom doesn't like heat or altitude; I thought we'd get a seat out of the sun and a glass of lemonade. What a pleasant surprise!!!

So we convinced my sister and her 14-year-old son to spend a ton to go out with us in 2006 (from PA) and it was rainy and windy, which prohibited most of the balloons from lifting off and put the kibosh on the balloon glow Sunday evening. (They still enjoyed it, because they didn't see 400+ balloons in beautiful sunny weather, so 150+ balloons in cloudy weather was pretty spectacular as far as they were concerned.)

We supplemented 2006 with an overnight trip to Canyon de Chelly -- drove out that first Saturday afternoon, stayed at the Thunderbird Lodge, took the jeep tour Sunday morning and scooted back in time for the Balloon Glow Sunday night. It was a tiring drive, but gorgeous and definitely worth it!

I recommend planning for the first weekend, and planning to stay in the Albuquerque area through part of the week as a back up in case of weather. Overnight trips in the area include Canyon de Chelly, Mesa Verde, and Sedona; a great 2-day trip is the North Rim of the Grand Canyon which is beautiful that time of year, just before it closes, Monument Valley, or anywhere in the Colorado Rockies. You simply can't go wrong in the Southwestern U.S.!

Chicago, IL
7 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: balloon fiesta 2007?

We're coming out for the 2nd weekend of the Fiesta (Thurs-Sun). Any suggestions on where to stay during this event? We were thinking of maybe staying downtown so we could check it out in the afternoon? Does anyone have any comments/suggestions on this?

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
87 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: balloon fiesta 2007?

Hey kbindner,

I'm traveling with my mom & daughter from Oct 12-15, 2007 for the event. There are several old posts on this forum that suggest staying at the Holiday Inn Balloon Fiesta or Ramada Limited (Holiday Inn has better reviews), both are within walking distance to the park. I wanted to stay at the Clubhouse Inn which is further away but had great reviews, however they only have a smoking room with 1 bed left for the weekend I'll be in town. The rates for the Holiday Inn are $144/per night............

I have already booked my hotel & rental car, the old posts I've read said to book early, especially the rental car. This will be our first time coming to the Balloon Fiesta although I've wanted to go for over 10 years now, so, I'm very excited....I plan to also do a day trip to Santa Fe.

Chicago, IL
7 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: balloon fiesta 2007?

Thanks Silverchick! Especially about booking the car early! I figured the hotel would be the problem. I'll look into doing the car rental today!

We went to the balloon fiesta last year for the first time after seeing it many times on the news (usually the weather channel). It was absolutely spectacular! The weather was kind of bad so we didn't get the see the mass ascension but we saw more balloons than we had ever seen before so it was a fantastic sight for us. We are hoping that this year the weather holds out.

We stayed in Santa Fe last time we went and although it was really a nice town, it was about an hour drive each way every morning (and night when we went for the glow and fireworks) which got old quick.

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
87 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: balloon fiesta 2007?

You're welcome kbindner

I booked a compact car (dodge calibar or similiar) through dollar.com at a rate of $17.88 per day, if you are in need of a bigger car than I would suggest budget.com, they have the best rates for all car types.

There's only one review on tripadvisor.com about this hotel (it's a good one though) but there is a Motel 6 North located 3 minutes away from the Balloon Fiesta Park, not sure what type of traveler you are, but the rates are only $75/night.

What hotel did you stay at last year in Santa Fe? I might turn my day trip into a overnight trip, now that you mentioned the 1 hour drive to/from Albuquerque.